Gutter Shower Drain - A Columbian trench or gutter drain install

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

I thought some of you might like to see the latest inspiration photo of a Colombian Gutter Drain. This is in a Colombian Hotel and shows the shower with it's gutter drain. The gutter goes all around the four sides of the shower and appears to be nothing more than fiberglass set to what appears to be only the lower portion of a two piece drain.

This is the inspiration photo for a new barrier free project out in Dundarave, West Vancouver. The apartment is awesome and right on West Vancouver's sea wall. The client was very organized and had taken many pictures of a similar suite when it was fully gutted earlier this year. It appears we will be converting an existing tub into a shower and working with the condo's old 1.5" copper drain line.

Connecting the new drain to the old copper line is not the hard part. This we have done many times. Getting the city inspectors to approve a gutter drain is going to be the huge hurtle I think.

To gain elevation for this design we are going to replace the apartments hot water baseboard rads with infloor hot water heating. Then a 1.5" concrete pour over top.

I'm off to find the smallest three piece clamping drain I can find. Any ideas? The drain does not need to be special as long as it has a cUPC or CSA engraving on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Planning and building a gutter shower drain system

What my new client likes most about this shower is that the water hitting the glass pane or door runs right down an into the gutter drain. It is this element that is the key to the design. Our twist on this installation will be some custom metal work to infill the gutter. I hope to source this new drain and mock up a sample for approval. The renovation is not scheduled for a couple months and we are only at the planning phase of construction.

How the glass is held above the gutter is interesting. I have asked for some more pictures to be sent to me and once I have them I'll share them here. Basically they are little floor mounted clips that hold the glass up off the floor and over the gutter trench. This makes cleaning the glass panel easier my client thinks and another key element in her original design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks