14" Rough Toilet with approximately 28" length (or 29" max from the wall)?

Users who are viewing this thread

NE

Reaction score
I have an old home with a 14" rough toilet. The toilet is installed on a step or platform for some reason. The contractors I've spoken with feel there is probably some structural reason for this and it can't be changed. The step cannot be extended further into the bathroom. I need to find a toilet that is relatively short from front to back (otherwise, there is no place for your feet). I figure around 28" would leave about 6" in front of the bowl, which is still not much. Ideally I would like a toilet that has a good flushing mechanism, bone in color and the higher seat in 14" rough. Also, not extremely expensive. If I have to I would give up on the color and/or the height. I know I will have to have a round front. I can't find a toilet that is short enough. Any suggestions? I have toilet that fits now, but it is very old and does not work well. Thank you very much for any guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your problem these days is that I don' t think anyone still makes a "true" 14" toilet, because if they did a round front bowl would only project about 25" from the wall. But, since they now use a 12" bowl with a 2" thicker tank, the toilet bowl will project out to 27".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Toto Carlyle II and several other models would sit right about the 28" you're interested in (well, 29", maybe a little less if you push it back as far as the bolts will allow). Keep in mind that your feet stay about at the same place, regardless of the depth of the toilet - you tend to straddle an elongated more than sit on it like a chair with your feet in front. https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms614114cefg_spec.pdf
Look for those models with the Unifit adapter. The list prices on their site do not reflect street prices, which are a lot less. The Vespin II is a two-piece, and is less, and there are others depending on the style you're interested in.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?31868-14-quot-Rough-In-Toilet-Choices

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.

NE

Reaction score
The Toto Carlyle II and several other models would sit right about the 28" you're interested in (well, 29", maybe a little less if you push it back as far as the bolts will allow). Keep in mind that your feet stay about at the same place, regardless of the depth of the toilet - you tend to straddle an elongated more than sit on it like a chair with your feet in front. https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms614114cefg_spec.pdf Look for those models with the Unifit adapter. The list prices on their site do not reflect street prices, which are a lot less. The Vespin II is a two-piece, and is less, and there are others depending on the style you're interested in.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?31868-14-quot-Rough-In-Toilet-Choices

Well I can't believe you may have found the only toilet in the world that might work. Thank you. I am a little concerned about the UniFit adaptor and how that might affect the efficiency of the flushing action. The room also has tall and thick base which has to be taken into consideration. Will call Toto customer service on that. I also wonder why there are so few options for small spaces. You would think there would be a pretty good market for compact toilets as there are many older homes with small bathrooms, and in these homes, 14 in rough is not unusual. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me. I'll keep watching in case anyone else has another idea. Thanks again.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The unifit doesn't affect the flushing action. We have a Carlyle II, which has the same flush type as the Vespin II, as well as a unifit, and I'm here to tell you it flushes great. People get all weird about how hard they expect it to be to install the Unifit, based on the plumbers who gave me quotes to do it, and then when you actually do it, it's like..."Oh." Measure, mark, drill, attach, mount toilet, done. It's more work than just mounting a toilet to a flange, but not that much more. And it's a lot less than pulling up the floor and resetting the rough-in, which is effectively what the Unifit substitutes for doing: 10", 12" or 14", one toilet can mount perfectly on all three rough-ins.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks