Tub Spout Diverter Dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawaiianguy

Reaction score
Aloha!

I'm trying to shop online for a new tub spout with diverter. The old one was leaking around the diverter pull up knob, also there was a 1/4 inch gap between the wall and end of the spout which looks to be filled with calking.

I'd like to find a new tub spout that will screw on the existing 1/2 male threaded copper pipe. From the wall to the end of pipe looks to be 4 5/16 inch. The old spout looks to be 5 1/4 inch.

Can anyone suggest a model that would work with this plumbing setup without me having to any major reworking on the pipe end?

Thanks in advance!

DSC01979.jpgDSC01976.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There are tub spouts that just slip on. All you would have to do is cut the copper pipe off behind the fitting, clean the copper. Most are held in place with an allen screw. Most big box stores will have them.

John

Hawaiianguy

Reaction score
That would only leave about 3 inches of pipe if I cut it off behind the fitting. Is that enough pipe to slip a new tub spout on. If so, any recommendations on a tub spout diverter that would work. I like good quality products that last.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I like good quality products that last.

Few tub spouts, especially the ones you are looking for qualify for that description. Normally, if you find a spout with the thread "at the front" and a pull up diverter, it will have the same dimensions as your old one. Slip on spouts only need a couple of inches of copper out of the wall.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
That one screws on. There is a good chance that it will be too short or too long for your setup. The one you need is the Moen slip spout on the same page.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I much prefer something like the Delta with the pull-down diverter, but it would require a different soldered on adapter.

Hawaiianguy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone and Terry for editing my post & providing the Delta website which showed the installation instructions w/ measurements. Might need to take off a few fractions off the male end to make it work but looks like a doer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks