humming motor sound in our wall

Users who are viewing this thread

tjnj25

Reaction score
we have been having a strange loud "humming" sound in our wall for the last 24 hours. It sounds similar to a motor running is the closest I can describe.

We had the water utility out and they said it was not the water, toilet or water heater, but it seems like the sound is vibrating from the main water supply area- I attached a pic- the lower pipe is vibrating more than the top. and it changes tune/ vibration slightly when the lever is pulled to turn water off. But sound does not go away.

I shut the water supply off and drained all of the pipes and left water off for 45 minutes. and the sound is still buzzing- and the pipe/ wall is still vibrating even with no water in it, I also shut off all of the power in the house and it still humms.

I checked with the neighbour whom we share a wall with in out townhouse and they have a large fish tank directly on opposite side, but we cannot hear any noise from their side. They said they have not done any renovations or anything to wall (there is a firewall in between also)

Has anyone else had this similar problem here? any ideas on what it could be?

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,019

Carloliveira

Reaction score
I checked with the neighbour whom we share a wall with in out townhouse and they have a large fish tank directly on opposite side, but we cannot hear any noise from their side. They said they have not done any renovations or anything to wall (there is a firewall in between also)

the fish tanks air supply pump is making the humming sound.....maybe

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If I had to guess (and I must) I'd say the there is a fault with the neutral on the electrical panel and current is being carried by the grounded piping. I was once called out to troubleshoot an electrical issue that turned out to be an open neutral. There was so much current carried by the copper pipe that it made the water warm.

tjnj25

Reaction score
Update- leak in pipe between curb and main supply meter

thanks for your suggestions- turns out its a leak in the pipe between the curb stop and our main water meter. The water utility shut off both and the sound went away, he used a pole with headphones on the curb stop to verify leak in pipe. We live in a townhouse on a concrete slab and the pipe is 4 feet underground, about 15 feet from curb to meter.

The condo association says its our responsibility to the front door- and they are responsible if out on front lawn. Has anyone had similar situation? we think the Condo is responsible for the pipe all the way to our meter, since its under our unit, and then we handle whatever is inside our unit walls.

thanks again everyone.

also- below are pages from our bylaws- If I'm reading correctly- I believe it backs up Association responsibility?

1.jpg2.jpg5.jpg7.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks