(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pump/Hose Thread Question

Default Pump/Hose Thread Question

So this is more specifically a pool/filter and hose question, but I think this is the right forum to ask...

On my pool filter, I have an 1-1/2" port for the discharge hose (backwash). The thread on this is standard (NPT?) and accepts the sched 40 PCV threaded fittings you'd find at the usual supply houses.

I grew tired of replacing the cheap plastic hose generally used for pool discharge and purchased a water discharge hose meant for a trash pump. This is 1-1/2" PVC reinforced hose and has "Pin Couplings", male at one end and female at the other. The thread on these couplings (i think) is NH-NST?

So - the question is - can anyone help me validate the thread type of each? I think what I need to connect the hose to my filter is an adapter like: Female Thread 1-1/2" NPT to Male Thread 1-1/2" NH(NST). The NPT female would use a short coupler in to the filter, and the NH Male would allow me to connect the Female (pin coupling) end of my water disharge hose.

Any input/feedback is appreciated!

Mark

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

If it's straight thread with a rubber gasket in the female hose end, you can mate that to NPT, no adapter needed....just buy a 1.5" NPT steel nipple and screw it into the filter, screw the hose on that.

Thanks for the quick reply. The female end of the hose does have a gasket, so I'll try a steel nipple. What may have thrown me, was that I tried a PVC nipple I had laying around, and it would turn about 1-1/2 turns on the female hose fitting and bind up.

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

It won't thread very far on NPT...the threads don't make the seal...the gasket does.