New water heater question

Users who are viewing this thread

NickG

Reaction score
The water heater I removed was about 15-20 years old. When it drained, the water was red, so I know I was only using about half it's capacity. Of course, we had the thermostat turned to "HIGH".

So When I go the new heater, I thought for sure we could get away with turning down th thermostat some. That was not the case. Unless it is on high, my wife says she needs to keep turning the control a little over to the hot side in her shower.

Mind you, she likes a hot, hot shower. Still, I thought we'd be ok using a new heater at 75% capacity over and old one at much less.

So that got me thinking... when reading the 1st hour rating on the heater, is that number in reference to a full heat setting?

In other words, if they say to turn it down to save energy and keep from burning our kids to death, then isn't the rating they use sort of useless?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is where a thermostatic shower valve might help...it will adjust the flow for you...

Things are tougher in the winter, too, since the incoming water is possibly much colder. Those ratings are based on (I think) 50 degree water source. What is yours if it is run until it gets as cold as it can?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

The water being red has nothing to do with the capacity you were using. The lower your thermostat setting the easier it would be for the burner to heat the incoming water to that level, but the water will still be at whatever temperature you set it. HOWEVER, the lower your setting, the less cold water you have to mix with it to get the proper temperature, but also the faster the incoming cold water will cool down the tank. Therefore since you are using mostly hot water, you will notice the temperature dropping faster as the tank cools down. As a byproduct of the lower temperature, you will have less apparent capacity since using mostly hot water will drain the tank faster than if you were using hotter water and more cold water to temper it.

plumb8

Reaction score
My water heater works fine, the trouble is with the water supply itself. The water is delivered through an extremely old piping system that may extend outside of the apartment building where I live.. I was wondering if there is a way to disconnect the line from the water heater and reconnect it to a tank that could be filled periodically with clean water?

Thanks.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"My water heater works fine, the trouble is with the water supply itself. The water is delivered through an extremely old piping system that may extend outside of the apartment building where I live.. I was wondering if there is a way to disconnect the line from the water heater and reconnect it to a tank that could be filled periodically with clean water?"

If the water is dirty, then you can filter it. If you put a large filter such as the Harmsco Poly Pleat 1 micron absolute in the line coming into your apartment, you will get rid of most of the sediment in your water. I suggest the PP-BB-20-1 that you will find at the following link.
http://www.harmsco.com/uploads/pdf/harmsco_polypleat_catalog.pdf

If your water supplier is delivering dirty water, then you have reason to complain and get it resolved. There are regulations that require delivery of clean water.

plumb8

Reaction score
water heater disconnect

Thanks for the advice, when I first moved in this apartment the water was coming out browner and they sent somebody up to flush out the tank with a garden hose. That made the water clearer but it continues to leave a brown stain in the sinks, bathtub, wherever. The landlord has agreed to take a sample to the water authority to get it tested. In the meantime I'll look into the water filter you recommended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks