Plumbing a washer in correctly.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Carloliveira

Reaction score
Just want to begin by thanking everyone for their input before I ask kindly for your help...

Currently my washer is plumbed into the sanitary through a one way valve then into a wye with no trap and unfortunately this is the way it was when I bought the home.

The picture I'm posting along with this is the method I would like to switch it to unless it will not work using an approved AAV of course.

I would prefer not to tear up my new kitchen to run a vent pipe......thanks again......

Attachments

• 20130418_074715.jpg
    20130418_074715.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 428

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
No plumbing code allows a standpipe to be installed higher than the washer.

Do do this correctly will require a laundry pump system to pump the water from a basin into the building drain. An AAV will not work with a pumped system because it must allow air flow in both directions.

It appears that the home is only one story, which in most cases would mean that a vent line can be brought up through an interior wall without needing to "tear up" anything. The vent between floors does not need to be at the laundry if it makes it easier to route.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; No plumbing code allows a standpipe to be installed higher than the washer.

WHy not? The washer has a "pumped" drain so it can raise the water a specified distance to enter a 'high' trap. Two possible problems;
1. an AAV will not cure a positive pressure caused by the upstairs sink draining, and,
2. in the event of a stoppage, the sink waste will overflow the standpipe. But,
3. The washer drain must not be connected directly to the drain system, since that could create a worse situation if either #1 OR #2 occurred.

Carloliveira

Reaction score
No plumbing code allows a standpipe to be installed higher than the washer.

Do do this correctly will require a laundry pump system to pump the water from a basin into the building drain. An AAV will not work with a pumped system because it must allow air flow in both directions.

It appears that the home is only one story, which in most cases would mean that a vent line can be brought up through an interior wall without needing to "tear up" anything. The vent between floors does not need to be at the laundry if it makes it easier to route.

that wall which the pipe is along side of is an exterior wall which is insulated it would be very tough to hog a hole and shove a pipe through it with insulation in the way......i should have known better that would've been to easy, i just find it awkward that the washer discharges through a pump and for me to discharge into another pump is just another device to have to worry about.....just me venting not your fault.....

found this which another moderator had posted in other topics.....so every thing you responded with makes total sense

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
While I am no expert, I have trouble believing that any clothes washer manufacturer would approve of such an installation. My plumbing code does not. Maybe it is ok where HJ is.

As I mentioned before, the vent can be installed between floors many feet away from the washer.

The waste from an automatic clothes
washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in
accordance with Section 802.4 or into a laundry sink. The trap
and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe
shall be a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The auto-
matic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch
drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in
diameter.

(c) Clothes washers. 1. ‘Residential types.’ Residential−type
clothes washers shall discharge into the sanitary drain system by
means of an air−break.
a. A standpipe receptor may not extend more than 36 inches
nor less than 18 inches above the centerline of the trap outlet.
b. A standpipe receptor shall terminate at least 26 inches but
not more than 48 inches above the floor on which the clothes
washer is located.

Last edited:

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Hey hj. I notice all your posts where you quote people, your quotes never show up as quotes. You must be deleting this sequence of keystrokes to close the quote:

[/QUOTE]

If you care??

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image (2).jpg
    New Bitmap Image (2).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 619

Carloliveira

Reaction score
1. an AAV will not cure a positive pressure caused by the upstairs sink draining, and,
2. in the event of a stoppage, the sink waste will overflow the standpipe. But,
3. The washer drain must not be connected directly to the drain system, since that could create a worse situation if either #1 OR #2 occurred.

Hj, the sink has is own vent in the diagram the AAV is for the washer trap only.....the AAV would see the kitchen sink positive pressure in that instance.....

Isn't your 2nd statement true even if the sanitary pipe was at ground level how bout a one way on the standpipe to prevent backups?

Im not testing your patience just an Inquiring mind.....

Last edited:

Carloliveira

Reaction score
Actually now I think about it the one way would be a flood waiting to happen on a stand pipe.......Sugar Honey Ice Tea

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks