New Iron filter needed

Users who are viewing this thread

tlman48

Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance for any help. I have a 17 year old McClean iron water filter that I want to replace. I could repair it but thought it might be a good time to get a new system before I get any older and things get harder to do. It has the air injector in line before a steel water tank. My well is 119 feet deep with 25gpm flow. My most recent test results are as follows: (before everything…raw)
Ph. 7.3 , TDS 200, Hardness 119.7, Iron 1.0, Manganese .05 ppm, Nitrates Not Detected, Sulfides Not Detected, Tannins Not Detected… just two of us in a small two bathroom house.
I know that a water softener would be an easy fix but I do not want a water softener. I just don’t like soft water. The manganese requires the ph to be increased to 8-8.5 which increased the hardness by some. That is for a birm system. With the air injector my gpm is 8. Have thought about going with filox but I’d have to take out the air injector and then I may not have enough dissolved air for it to work. I could use that air fleck type valve that puts air in the filter instead of brine. Also we live in an area where water is precious and I would feel kind of bad about using so much water.
One online company said with the air injection valve the birm would remove that small amount of manganese without raising the ph. I question that. Another company says that with their air injection valve I could use catalytic carbon. Another on line dealer said with their air injection valve I could use greensand plus without anything else. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Tim

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
A local dealer recommended a backwashed MTM filter for my low-iron water. Seems to work. It's described as a "manganese greensand equivalent", but is lightweight with good service flow rates, wide effective pH range, and modest backwash requirements. The dealer claims that just backwashing with chlorinated water is sufficient, but most descriptions of the product say it has to be regenerated with potassium permanganate periodically. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of that.

tlman48

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yes there seems to be a difference in what manufacture says and dealer says. I'm not sure if real world experience is different than test and recommendations by manufacture. I do not want to use chemicals so MtM would be out for me. One dealer on line says they have used air injection valve at filter and used greensand plus for many years with no chemicals at all. The manufacture says chlorinated water needs to be fed to the media???
Tim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks