Suggestions for rapid cycling pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Hunter01

Reaction score
I have a Pro Flo submersible pump in an 18" diameter sump (not my design), backed up by an Aquanot II battery system (Thanks to suggestions here) The main pump has an unadjustable switch and cycles in about a 7" range. In the worst weather we've had in 5 years in the house, the pump cycled 14 seconds 0n, 15 seconds Off. Right now, it's about 10 seconds On, 65 seconds Off. I think the best alternative would be to increase the sump pit size, but I'm an 'old retired guy' and do not look forward to cutting concrete and digging. Any suggestions? By the way, the primary pump has lasted 5 years, but I don't sleep well.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My sump pit is fed from the 4" perimeter drain and the 150 linear feet of drain acts as significant storage capacity. I adjusted the sump so it only starts when the perimeter drain is full and stops when the drain is empty. 150 feet of drain has a lot more capacity than one might expect by increasing the size of the pit.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Quick math tells me that my perimeter drain can store 100 gallons. Your current pit stores about 8 gallons.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that you might be pumping deeper than necessary. A lot of people do this with thinking about it.

If it is not already, i would raise the pump (set it on a block or a couple of pavers) so that the standing water level can rise to 6"-8" below the top of the slab. Leaving the foundation drain partially full will often reduce the inflow of water.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Leaving the foundation drain partially full will often reduce the inflow of water.

I have concerns about leaving water in the perimeter drain and scum or sediment building up. By letting it fill and then drawing it down, it does a more complete and thorough flush.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have concerns about leaving water in the perimeter drain and scum or sediment building up. By letting it fill and then drawing it down, it does a more complete and thorough flush.

I guess if you have any "dirty" water coming into the basin then it might be a concern.
Most of the houses I go in are over 20 years old and have nothing but crystal clear groundwater in the sumps. Most of the older houses have clay tile perimeter drains with clay sump pits and still I have not noted any problems.

Hunter01

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions. (Why didn't I think of that?) :rolleyes: The water I have coming in is very clear, and I intend to set the pump so that it completely empties out the drain tile and goes just slightly below that so it flushes out completely. I have about 100' of drain tile. Should add capacity easily. Thanks, again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks