Bang or Ping in water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbcatastrophe

Reaction score
I looked at some old threads and I'm not sure if I'm on the right track. I get a "bang" in the water heater, one only, as it nears its heating cycle, when I turn a valve off (like the sink or shower), or sometimes while it's just sitting there doing what water heaters do. It's an envirotech water heater and only 4 years old. Super hard water that leaves stains on glass and vehicles I can't remove. I've flushed several times. Installed a H20 pressure regulator, I have an arrestor on the hot line below tank and cold line by the outlet to sprinkler system. Anyone had anything similar? Is it the tank and buildup? Any ideas? I'm thinking of replacing tank next, but eliminating by removing appliances is expensive!

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
w/h noise

You will get a better explaination from someone, but the bottom of the water heater is like the bottom of a tea kettle and the elements that are in the water settle out to the bottom. Some of the oxygen or air gets trapped and will pop when water begins to heat. Some heaters sound like a popcorn popper.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a Softener

You will probably have short life on water heaters until you install a water softener, based on a water test.

The problem arises from the fact that calcium carbonate precipitates when the water gets hot. That is why teakettles get thick crusts in the bottom.

The cause of the popping is steam bubbles that are created where the flame heats the metal that is somewhat insulated on the inside by the deposits. The creation and collapse of those steam bubbles is what makes the noise.

Just as you can clean your teakettle by boiling a little vinegar in it, you could clean a water heater by circulating a muriatic acid solution through it. That is a solution that many homeowners might not want to undertake.

You could circulate the acid solution using a "drill pump", or better yet, a small centrifugal utility pump.

Plumbcatastrophe

Reaction score
Water heater bang

Guess it just sounded so unusual because it sometimes happens when you shut down a cold water line. Makes no sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks