Wet Vent Drain Sink Into Toilet 3" Vent or Add Elbows to a Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

remodel4ever

Reaction score
This is a remodel of a 2nd floor bathroom. Original plumbing is hubbed cast iron and screwed steel. Mods will be made in PVC, with tie-in by screw and/or no-hub compression couplings.

Looking at the wet wall from left to right I have the 4" iron main stack, existing sink drain, 3" screw pipe vent for downstairs toilet. Vent is commoned back to the main stack at about 4" height.

The sink drain currently runs laterally into the main stack. The sink drain location is moving to the right of the 3" vent. Should I consider draining the sink into the 3" downstairs toilet vent? Or should I add elbows to the 3" vent and dog-leg it around under the new sink drain location? I understand a wet vent spanning floors would not be to code, probably for good reason. How bad is adding two, or possibly four elbows to bend the 3" toilet vent around the new drain location? Is 4 elbows in the vent ok? It would simplify the cutting and splicing.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is probably a 2" steel pipe, because no plumber would work with 3" screwed pipe in a residence. You can offset a vent with as many elbows as necessary, or as many as you want to use.

remodel4ever

Reaction score
It is 3" screwed steel pipe in a residence, built in 1963. Along with the 2" screwed pipe. Along with the 4" and 2" hubbed iron pipe. Lots of variety.

Excellent to hear I can offset the vent with multiple elbows. Thanks much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks