Water storage tank system problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Bub7es

Reaction score
I have a water storage tank in my new home. The way the system is designed is that the well is pumped into the storage tank from the well pump with a 42 gallon pressure tank. From here there is a second pump and pressure tank that delivers water to the house from the 400 gallon storage tank.

I recently noticed that the pressure regulator on the first pressure tank was clicking on and off rapidly when water was being used. Research told me that I had a problem with the tank. Probably a ruptured bladder. I depressed the shrader valve and no air came out. I tried to test with a pressure gauge and nothing. I tried to put air in and no air would go in.

I ram confused why no air will go on the tank. Regardless I figure that I need to replace the tank. My question is why would a 42 gallon tank be used simply to fill the storage tank. I believe that it is the original tank prior to the addition of the storage tank and second pressure tank after storage tank.

Do I need to buy a new tank that is as big or can I get a much smaller tank. Do I need a pressure tank here at all. Would it make sense to wire a fill gauge on a ball like in a toilet that just turns the well on and off to keep the storage tank full or is there a reason for the pressure tank here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No air came out and no air went in....Could be a faulty core in the shrader valve itself. You can drain the tank of all its water, remove the core of the shrader valve, put in a new one and then try to put air in. The pre charge should be 2 psi below cut in pressure.

The only time I see large storage tanks in homes is when there is a sprinkler system installed or when the well has a low yield and there is a need to store water for high demand situations.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
You are correct in wondering about the first tank. There is no good reason to have that tank. Maybe when the system was first installed, the 42 gallon was all there was, and they realized for whatever reason you needed the additional storage tank and pump later. You don't need it, and are correct in saying that is would make sense to fill the large tank directly from the well pump with a float switch or some other level controls runnnig the well pump directly.

Bub7es

Reaction score
The reason for the storage tank was because I asked that the sellers install the tank prior to my purchasing of the house. The wells yield was OK but I wanted the tank to be on the safe side.

I did replace the core of the shrader valve but I didn't drain the tank first. Should that matter?

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
I've seen a few tanks that wouldn't take air, had to remove the schrader core and use a wire or small screwdriver to push through the blockage in the stem and it worked fine. see it more often with wellmate tanks for some reason.

CameronRobertson

The Storage Man
Reaction score
Website
supercheapselfstorage.com.au
I'm just wondering how this went? Did you end up replacing the first pressure tank or just the core like Craigpump suggested? I am of the opinion that the least amount of complications in an already complicated system would be best, so I hope that you managed to whittle down the number of implements in the pumping system. Also, just wondering that since the storage tank existed before you got there whether you checked with the previous owners regarding servicing or the like?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks