(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pipe protrudes past studs entire length of wall

Default Pipe protrudes past studs entire length of wall

I was planning to hang some drywall in my unfinished basement in the house I just purchased. I have 2 questions and am hoping someone can help. There is a picture to explain.

1) I have a pipe to extends the full length of one of my walls, about 20ft. It protrudes past the studs I would attach the drywall too, by about 1/2". In the picture you'll see the pipe and the main stud to the left (question 2 below pertains to the framed opening which you will also see).What are my options?

2) As you'll see in the picture, where the pipe starts, to the left in a framed opening, but it's about 2" past the main part of the wall. Would you recommend I do something on the 20ft wall so that it aligns up with this opening, and then resolves the pipe issue in #1?
    If so, what would you recommend I do to align them up, given the 20ft wall?
    Name:  20130413_075631_resized.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  43.2 KB

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help!

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Normally for something sticking out, I would either frame and drywall around the protrusion, or for a long section of wall with a shallow protrusion we would look at furring the entire wall out.

I really need to see a bigger picture to tell you what I would do.
    Where the pipe is sticking out an inch, you could strip the wall. By striping I mean adding 2x2’s and or 2x4`s to the existing studs. You would need to strip the sole plate and the top plate so you will have something to attach base board and molding at the top etc. This would build the wall out 1 and a inch and the pipe would not show or be in the way.
    You could build a box around the elbow or build a box or enclosure that extends the full length of the wall so it is not so obvious. You might be able to change the pipe but I cannot tell in your picture.