(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Softener settings

Thank you for answering that question.
    I was hoping that was the case. I had accidentally toggled from softener to the filter setting
    and had changed a couple of the initial settings without meaning to before toggeling it back
    to softener mode. Out of couriousity, is there a way to reset the Clack ws1 cs to factory default settings ?

I received my Hatch 5b, test kit today. Took sample of softened water from kitchen faucet. It only took one drop
    of Hardness 3 Titrant solution to change the color from pink to blue. I also used a Hatch brand hardness test strip
    on the inside softened water, the test strip matched 0. Hardness. Also tested water before softening system from outside hose bib.
    Hardness tested at between 15 & 25.

In your manual you should find how to reset back to default settings.

A grain or two of hardness isn't going to use much salt. Your salt setting gets you 3333 grains per lb.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tntent805 View Post
    Took sample of softened water from kitchen faucet. It only took one drop
    of Hardness 3 Titrant solution to change the color from pink to blue.
    Whenever I test the cold side, I do not have the use any of the titrant solution. It is always blue. On the hot side, you can tell it is almost blue so only 1 drop causes it it change to a solid blue. Soft water is classified as less than 1 GPG.

Water level in the brine tank seems to be higher than it should be.
    It's at the bottom of the overflow float and stopped filling
    because of the overfloat safety valve. Shouldn't it be lower than that ?

It should be about 12-15" from the bottom of the brine tank. Pull the venturi and check to insure it is not clogged.

Water level is about 20 " from the bottom of brine tank.
    What do I need to do to get the brine water closer to the proper level
    Last edited by tntent805; 04-21-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Manually cycle the unit and check for a draw. The unit should put the required amount of water back into the brine tank. I just remembered you are using 13 lbs per regen so the brine level is going to be higher than normal. Check for a proper draw.

There's no way to know how high the water should be without knowing what size salt tank he has, how mush salt is in it and if he has a salt grid or not.

He may have water going into the salt tank when it shouldn't be. To find out, with the control valve in the Service position, take the brine line off the control valve and see if there is water flowing out of the fitting. Of course there will be some water as you remove the line, so once it drains out, see if it keeps draining. If so you may have a bad 7000 valve. There was a recall on them recently.

If no water flow then possibly there is a suction leak in on of the brine line fittings including the one under the safety float valve where the brine pickup goes up into the bottom of the valve.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

System is a 2cf. Clack ws1 cs. with 18x33 brine tank.
    I had added some extra water to the brine tank after putting in fresh new salt,
    and think I may have added too much extra water to brine tank.

Checked, no water leaking into tank when it shouldn't be and lines are tight.
    Last edited by tntent805; 04-22-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    There's no way to know how high the water should be without knowing what size salt tank he has, how mush salt is in it and if he has a salt grid or not.
    I knew the brine tank size and that it did not have a grid plate because I sold him the unit.

Well, guess I probably wont be getting any more answers / help from Gary now.
    I'm just concerned that I added too much water to the brine tank.
    If I added too much extra water to the brine tank Is there an easy way
    to remove some of the brine water in order for it to fill to the proper amount next time ?

Yes, simply manually regen the unit. It will pull out the water and only fill to the proper level. Gary should answer/help no matter who sold it.

A better answer is to leave it alone, it will be sucked out during the next regeneration, and that way you don't have to guess how much to take out or deal with getting rid of salt water.

And IMO Skip's instructions seem to be lacking or you wouldn't have had all these questions... And if he wasn't so negative, I'd help him sell more softeners.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    And IMO Skip's instructions seem to be lacking or you wouldn't have had all these questions... And if he wasn't so negative, I'd help him sell more softeners.
    You ever wonder why I have a problem with you? You ever wonder why a lot of others have a problem with you? The common factor is you. You bash people at the things they say like you are the GURU of water treatment. Just like your opinion of my instructions. I offered them, but the OP didn't take me up on the offer so now he has some questions. And this is why I say you have a bag full of cheap shots. You don't know the whole story but you will make a comment like that. When you talk about being negitive, look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    You ever wonder why I have a problem with you? You ever wonder why a lot of others have a problem with you? The common factor is you. You bash people at the things they say like you are the GURU of water treatment. Just like your opinion of my instructions. I offered them, but the OP didn't take me up on the offer so now he has some questions. And this is why I say you have a bag full of cheap shots. You don't know the whole story but you will make a comment like that. When you talk about being negitive, look in the mirror.
    Skip did offer,
    I just felt it would be better to get my questions answered in this forum.
    As such, I got both of your pointers & answers to many of my questions.
    I have learned allot from both of you. Additionally, I have been able
    to learn allot from other threads and posts both of you have made.

Thank you,
    to both of you for your answers, pointers and views.
    Last edited by tntent805; 04-23-2013 at 11:48 AM.