(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Softener settings

Post Copy of Water report

For your review,
    I Uploaded a better copy of the water report further down in this thread.
    If possible could you please review the report and let me know if there are any other adjustments to the softener that I should make.

Tks.
    tntent.
    Last edited by tntent805; 04-17-2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Updated legable copy of report

Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    Instead of acknowledging the fact that you have to use compensated hardness to properly set up a unit, you choose to try and discredit me by saying it may be for mixed bed softener. LOL Do you see anywhere it says mixed bed? Where does it show the iron or manganese amount? Even a softener GURU like yourself makes mistakes, but you will NEVER admit it. You are telling him to set it up using only the measured hardness. If this is how you teach, please don't try and teach me anything. And noticed I added the hardness leakage chart. The less salt you use the higher chance of hardness leakage. You are trying to squeeze 5K using 1.5 lbs of salt. It may work for you, but I would rather my customers not take that chance of having hardness leakage. The whole point of getting a softener is to get rid of the hardness.

TnTent, set it up whatever way you want. Once you get your test kit, you can play with the settings and get the most out of it if you want.
    He has city water that is chlorinated so he will not have any iron or manganese. I have never seen anything about compensating for anything other than iron and manganese.

I used the 23 gpg he mentioned and.... at a salt efficiency of 3333 grains/lb I cover 45K with 13.5 lbs. You can too if you want to but...

You are scared of calls or call backs (or want to sell more salt) so again, you overdose the salt.

My way keeps any hadrness breakthrough to less than 1 gpg and I always included a test kit for the customer to check his hardness if he thought he was getting hard water. My customers were very pleased in all regards and those with hard water usually admitted to letting the salt run out a few weeks or months ago. That is not my fault r a fault in programming but it is why they had hard water (above 0 gpg). Then they do the 2 manual regens stuff at the max salt dose of 15lbs/cuft and get all the resin fully regenerated, set the sat back to what I told them and they are pleased again.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by tntent805 View Post
    Here is a copy of the water quality report from the water district that provides water to the area.
    Please let me know any recommended changes based on the report.
    Tks.
    I can't read the picture but I used the 23 gpg you posted, if that is converted from the report into gpg, you divide their figure by 17.1 ppm and that is the gpg. And that is what you should use.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    You are scared of calls or call backs (or want to sell more salt) so again, you overdose the salt.
    I guess thats why you failed the first time...Call Backs? LOL That is something I don't have much of. LOL I'm not going to sell Tntent salt so what cheap shot do you have now?

Post Updated copy of Water quality report

I have attached a clearer copy for Water Report from the water district for your review.
    After reviewing the report closer, I see in section table 4, " Detection of contaminants with a secondary drinking water standard,
    in the level detected row it lists, Iron (ppb) after filtration <100 as level detected and in the next row in the MCL it lists 300.

Is that anything I need to be concerned with and need to address.

Water district also had posted a yellow sticky note,
    "Information for your water softener:
    Hardness = 21.7 gpg
    Iron = <100 ppb"

Thank you for all your help.
    tntent

Name:  CCR2011Large_Page_1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  98.0 KBName:  CCR2011Large_Page_2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  97.2 KB

He has city water that is chlorinated so he will not have any iron or manganese. I have never seen anything about compensating for anything other than iron and manganese.
    Please explain why they would show <100 iron and <50 manganese on chlorinated water.

Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    I guess thats why you failed the first time...Call Backs? LOL That is something I don't have much of. LOL I'm not going to sell Tntent salt so what cheap shot do you have now?
    No, there were two factors a lack of sales because I was overpriced because I listened to some hotshot national sales manager while spending a large amount of money on advertising that didn't work; partially my doing but the hot shot was directing me, and I ran out of money.

Cheap shot... Are you a democrat or a piss poor actor, or both? I ask because you sure love playing victim. You ran me and my company down every chance you got for years here and everywhere you followed me around the internet under all your various names. IIRC, I have not said anytinhg about you as a person, or about where you live or the type of house etc. you live in or your company. I do say you are wrong in some of the things you do. Right now it is how you arrive at the gpg of hardness in a person's water by adding 1.3 times based on the TDS is it? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but if you are wrong you deny it and call it a cheap shot. Here's a copy of what you told someone a few months ago in a PM here where you added 13 gpg to his hardness AFTER compensating for his iron;

"Resin manufactures recommend regenerating resin about every 7 days. But with iron in the water, you have to regen it more often to keep the resin clean of the iron. For every part of iron, you add 3 grains of hardness. In your case you would add 3.3 to your hardness of 39.65 for a total of 42.95. There is also a compensated hardness. Compensated hardness takes into account hardness ions that are not measured with a standard test kit. The compensated hardness for your water is 42.95*1.3=55.83. So the actual hardness you want to remove is now 56 GPG.".

Tell us what other hardness ions are in his water other than calcium and magnesium. Name them.

And then I've seen you tell people to use a reserve of 10-20% of the total K of capacity instead of using a day's worth of gallons when using a metered valve.

All that requires salt to be used and my experience says it is a total waste, and you do it so you don't get complaints and if the person is in your area you're selling some of those people salt. Plus I doubt you are testing for manganese and compensating for it if there is any.

Quote Originally Posted by tntent805 View Post
    I have attached a clearer copy for Water Report from the water district for your review.
    After reviewing the report closer, I see in section table 4, " Detection of contaminants with a secondary drinking water standard,
    in the level detected row it lists, Iron (ppb) after filtration <100 as level detected and in the next row in the MCL it lists 300.

Is that anything I need to be concerned with and need to address.

Water district also had posted a yellow sticky note,
    "Information for your water softener:
    Hardness = 21.7 gpg
    Iron = <100 ppb"

Thank you for all your help.
    tntent
    That iron is in ppBillion and means it is less than .1 ppmillion and you do not need to compensate for it.

So use 22 gpg or since all the math is done for you already using your original 23 gpg and program as I showed you, or use miaLynette's way.

No, there were two factors a lack of sales because I was overpriced because I listened to some hotshot national sales manager while spending a large amount of money on advertising that didn't work; partially my doing but the hot shot was directing me, and I ran out of money.
    And this is why I don't listen to you. If anyone is to blame for a failure, it would be the person who is the decision maker.

Cheap shot... Are you a democrat or a piss poor actor, or both? I ask because you sure love playing victim. You ran me and my company down every chance you got for years here and everywhere you followed me around the internet under all your various names. IIRC, I have not said anytinhg about you as a person, or about where you live or the type of house etc. you live in or your company.
    Is this why you posted all my adresses on this forum because I'm following you? Is this why you said I use junk for parts when I said I use a J tube (which is my suppliers name for #500 air check)? Is this why you have called me serveral times acting like a possible customer? .[/QUOTE]

I do say you are wrong in some of the things you do. Right now it is how you arrive at the gpg of hardness in a person's water by adding 1.3 times based on the TDS is it?.
    I love how you put words in my mouth. Show me where I said I use the TDS to determine the compensated hardness. Wake up from your dream world.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong but if you are wrong you deny it and call it a cheap shot. Here's a copy of what you told someone a few months ago in a PM here where you added 13 gpg to his hardness AFTER compensating for his iron;
    I call it a cheap shot because you put words in my mouth or say I do something when I don't. Like use junk parts. Remember that? Now tell me that wasn't a cheap shot. Are you saying now that you pretend to be someone who needs advice and post so you can ridicule folks for your intertainment?

Tell us what other hardness ions are in his water other than calcium and magnesium. Name them.
    I have serveral times. You just need to read.

And then I've seen you tell people to use a reserve of 10-20% of the total K of capacity instead of using a day's worth of gallons when using a metered valve.
    I was taught to use 20%, not 10%, of the capacity as a reserve. So 20K*20%=4K. So I guess you can come up with a cheap shot for my teacher. You da man.

All that requires salt to be used and my experience says it is a total waste, and you do it so you don't get complaints and if the person is in your area you're selling some of those people salt. Plus I doubt you are testing for manganese and compensating for it if there is any.
    Are you some kind of mind reader? You sure do throw out a lot of speculations. But I guess that is why after 7 years I am still in business. I make a ton of money selling 100 bags of salt a month at a 5% mark up. Just enough to pay for the gas. LOL And one last question before I'm done with you again, "How is this helping the OP"?
    Last edited by mialynette2003; 04-17-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Here is the numbers I came up with.

4*60= 240* 22= 5280*8 = 42240 rnd to 43k. 43000/3333 = 13.0 lbs. 43000/5280 =8 8*240 = 1920 gal.

If my math is correct, after rounding up,
    I should change capacity to 43k and change salt dosage to 13lbs.
    My regeneration would be every 9 days.

Is this correct or am I misunderstanding.

Please let me know if these calculations are correct.
    Tks
    T.N.
    Last edited by tntent805; 04-17-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Can anyone tell me if my way of understanding and math is correct.

Am I correct in needing to change the capacity to 43k and change salt setting to 13 lbs.
    Or do I keep capacity at 45k ? ( unit is a 2 cf with standard resin and original settings were 64k & 9.5 lbs salt ).
    Or should I change settings to something else.
    Sorry, I'm kinda confused.

Tks for the assistance in trying to understand and getting the settings correct

Tntent
    Last edited by tntent805; 04-18-2013 at 10:51 AM.

You haven't posted your math but...

I've told you how I would program it and that you can use any hardness figure you want to. Of course using a lower figure than the actual hardness will cause a problem down the road a ways.

Sorry for not getting this. Think it must be all the meds. I am on after back surgery.
    All the meds. keep me pretty fuzzy headed. I keep getting lost in calculating the settings.
    I originally thought since the hardness level from the water district report listed hardness level
    Of 21.7, I rounded up to 23 to be on the safe side.

As Gary recommended,
    I set Softener Capacity to 45K,
    13.5 lbs. Salt.
    Hardness to 23.
    Man. Override 9 days.

Since the hardness level is actually 21.7, and not 23, wont I be using more salt
    than necessary during each regeneration ?

Also on the clack ws1 cs whats the the filtering option settings used for,
    do the different filter settings come into play when using it in softener mode ?

Again, I'm sorry, but thr meds really makes it hard to concentrate and understand this.

Please help,
    Anyone !

The system should be on softener. The filter option is if you are using it as a carbon filter or BIRM or something that does not require a regenerant. Salt being the regenerant for the softener.