Bi-yearly washer drain clogged - HELP !

Users who are viewing this thread

Meekster

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,
We have a washer drain that keeps clogging. It was a yearly thing to rent a Home Depot electric auger for $60 to remedy the problem. Tried chemicals but they worked so-so. We have all but stopped putting food in kitchen disposal. And No grease. Now it is clogging more than once a year and it is getting aggravating and costly. Not to mention cutting into my fishing time. I will post a picture of the set-up with hopes someone can give me some pointers. I can't figure out why and where it keeps clogging. Nothing but a minor muddy residue comes back on the auger cable. I tried running a hose down the roof pipe and sink with the clean out open and water doesn't come out. ??? That is what I call the "mystery area" between the sink and the problem washer pipe. I GREATLY appreciate any help you can provide! Sorry for my poor artwork! Thanks, Meekster
image.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I cannot make much of your drawing, but my experience has been that a pipe that repeatedly clogs usually does not have enough pitch in it, so the solids do not get adequately washed from the pipe. This problem is even more so with older pipes which are galvanized or cast, as the piping tends to have rust scale on the inside which further increases the rate at which buildup occurs.

Wondering

Reaction score
What kind of detergent do you use? I had the same problem about every 8-12 months. After cleaning the line out 3-4 times I happened to change detergent. I havent had a clog in over 3 years now. I was using Liquid All before.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It maybe not the brand of detergent so much as the amount. Lots of us "old timers" use way too much of these newer detergents.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks