4 inch waste line stopped up with baby wipes . should I use the b***** drain cleaner?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the toilet is old as hell and I can't get a snake down the toilet . there is another place that I can try and snake but I'm skeptical
When I say b***** train cleaner I mean the stuff that comes wrapped in an extra plastic bag has a warning on the label and the guys behind the counter tell you a couple war stories so that you take it seriously .also is the Home Depot stuff as strong as the plumbing supply place ?
I'm definitely going to try and snake it first .
I have to be a dimwit to try and make it after that toxic stuff if it doesn't work

Last edited:

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
No liquid drain cleaner will take care of baby wipes. You will have to have the line cleared with a machine.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can of Worms, you just have to realize that there are some jobs that are beyond DIY. A clogged drain line is one of these. You need a professional plumber with industrial sized equipment and know how to use it. Don't even think about a rental auger, one large enough to do the job would probably not be available in the first place, and even if was, it would be extremely dangerous to you.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Can of Worms, you just have to realize that there are some jobs that are beyond DIY. A clogged drain line is one of these. You need a professional plumber with industrial sized equipment and know how to use it. Don't even think about a rental auger, one large enough to do the job would probably not be available in the first place, and even if was, it would be extremely dangerous to you.[/
I agree sometimes you just have .to bite the bullit

Chefwong

Reaction score
Any chance it's just restricted in the toilet trap.....
Have you pulled the toilet to see if it's nice and clear from the outlet there.

wipes-in-toilet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The drain cleaners you can buy at the hardware/grocery store, are basically harmless, and useless. I have NEVER gotten burned or even "scorched" by them. The only way I know they have been put in the drain is because the water feels extra slippery.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
The drain cleaners you can buy at the hardware/grocery store, are basically harmless, and useless. I have NEVER gotten burned or even "scorched" by them. The only way I know they have been put in the drain is because the water feels extra slippery.

The drain cleaner I was referring to is only sold at plumbing supply houses it is sealed a bottle inside two 4mil bags with a read warning paper. They didn't want to sell it to me until they gave me a lecture and made me swear I had not put any other product in that line also another plumber there also gave me a lecture.
The stuff is basically sulphuric acid. when you put it in a drain you have to cover the drain because it may react with whatever is in the drain and blow out and all over the place and in your eyes.
I used this as a last resort on a stopped second floor drain and it worked like magic. But it stunk up the joint to high hell!
The b@llshit I got at home despot was not this product.
It was guaranteed to work. And in a deceptive plastic bag.
So I will bring back the empty bottle.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
Can of Worms, you just have to realize that there are some jobs that are beyond DIY. A clogged drain line is one of these. You need a professional plumber with industrial sized equipment and know how to use it. Don't even think about a rental auger, one large enough to do the job would probably not be available in the first place, and even if was, it would be extremely dangerous to you.

There is only one thing we say to death and that is NOT TODAY!

Job done. Removed toilet.
Cleaned up 4" lead flange. 3" reducer (with rubber gasket thingy) I thought a seal between the new flange and old was not a bad idea, so I pulled it out and it flung feces everywhere and in my hair and face.
Then I took a shot of whiskey. Then pressed the thing down with the wax seal.
Screwed it down I didn't have stainless so I used treated deck screws.
After this was done used a RIDGID Power Spin hooked up to my dewalt drill.I took out about 15 wipes, a ball of hair and a couple of turds. That thing kicks butt. Works best at a lower speed and pull it out by hand.

Took a couple more shots throughout this. I finished up at 1 am.
It was just very unpleasant. floating corn etc...
Got it to drain. Put on a stopper. Took a shower. Went to sleep. Woke up with a hangover. That's how I party these days.
drain.jpg

Now you can all tell me what I did wrong.

Last edited:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like you had some fun and the drain is unstopped. From the picture it looks like the toilet flange bolt hole slots are not where they need to be, but that is an easy fix.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
Sounds like you had some fun and the drain is unstopped. From the picture it looks like the toilet flange bolt hole slots are not where they need to be, but that is an easy fix.

Yeah I see that now. It made perfect sense at the time. Do you think I need to replace with stainless or brass screws or should the treated deck screws last a long time.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
With a wood floor I don’t think it matters because if the screws rust out the floor will have already fallen in.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
Uhh... actually the floor is still very hard and original and... one of the 4 "FOUR" screws used to hold down the toilet rusted out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
hj....orange and blue both sell the sulfuric acid drain cleaner as described.....max strength. VERY dangerous for anyone to mess with.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
and it flung feces everywhere and in my hair and face. It was just very unpleasant. floating corn etc...
Thanks for the vivid pictures you painted in our minds, A little booze goes a long ways. No wonder you got that amp going; pure determination.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
hj....orange and blue both sell the sulfuric acid drain cleaner as described.....max strength. VERY dangerous for anyone to mess with.

I have to tell you the stuff from orange and blue was nothing compared to the stuff at the supply house. I got that HD stuff all over my hands and all it did was make my hands slippery as another posted.
It came in a bottle sealed in a plastic back with a warning label.
I returned it empty told them it didn't work and it was guaranteed to work.

The stuff from the supply house removed 100 years of oxidation from the lead flange when I poured it in(I had to pull the bowl to snake).
It also made a sizzling noise. Stunk up the house and.... when I went outside it had stunk up the back yard I assume from the vent on the roof.
This stuff is ********!

BAD_AZZ_DRAIN_CLEANER.jpg

ShockHazard

Reaction score

Some people are extremely sensitive to it, others not so much.
I use it as cheap degreaser.

It only works on grease or hair, not obstructions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks