Diverter issue on shower

Users who are viewing this thread

CMB

Reaction score
1/22/2006 I am looking for any assistance that is offered on how to fix a pesky shower diverter issue. This particular shower has the diverter lever on top of the tub faucet itself. It is one of those styles where you simply pull it up to divert the flow to the shower. Here's the problem- water continues to run out of the shower head when the flow of water is intended to come only out of the tub faucet. I have already replaced the shower head, as well as the "screw on" style tub faucet, so both of them are brand new. Didn't fix it though...ughh. I am down to my last option which is to purchase a shower head with a shut off valve on it, but there must be some way that I can fix this or have it fixed without having to purchase ANOTHER brand new shower head right?? Any thoughts?

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like something is stuck in the 90 deg. elbow that comes from the valve body,down and turns out the wall to the tub spout. Something is causing back pressure through that valve .

Cal

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Why would you have purchased the first shower head, when the problem is water from the diverter coming out of it? Is this a new installation? Normally that problem is caused by an improper installation rather than any mechanical problem.

KGB

Reaction score
I've just installed a new tub/shower in my basement and have the same problem. I'm thinking it's because I used 1/2 inch pex pipe from the valve to the tub spout which has a smaller diameter than cooper pipe. I did use cooper pipe for the spout but the smaller diameter may be causing back pressure and forcing the water back up to the shower. I'm going to replace the 1/2 inch pex with 3/4 inch and hope that cures the problem!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
KGB has accurately described your problem. Only full and unobstructed flow from the tub spout keeps the dynamic pressure at the mixing valve low enough that water does not rise to the shower head. Your valve may be installed upside down, or too small tubing may have been used, or even if your house pressure is just too high....all these things can cause your problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks