Trouble flushing a water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

David212

Reaction score
image.jpg
I had my hot water re-plumbed due to the copper lines corroding. After everything was done the hot water was discolored. At this point I thought it would be a good idea to flush the tank. I have a traditional 40 gallon tank running on natural gas. I hooked up the garden hose to the plastic drain and opened the valve. All I got was a little trickle of water. I opened the faucet closest to the tank with no change. Normal flow of water out of the faucet. I tried various combinations of having the faucet on/off, cold supply on/off and hot valve on/off. The drain valve is all the way open but the best I could get was 2-3 cups of hot water. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing some step? I get normal water flow from all faucets in the house. After a week of normal use the color has gone away but I would still like to know what I am doing wrong.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many of us replace the original drain valve with a 3/4" ball valve when we first install the heater. Think might help, but even then you may need to ream the crud with a piece of coat hanger wire. I've seen sediment so deep even that wouldn't clear the tank.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I've had to remove the valve so I could use a piece of rod to break free sediment blocking the opening in the bottom of the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks