Please review this drain rough

Users who are viewing this thread

roskoe99

Reaction score
drain_Page_1.jpgdrain_Page_2.jpg

Greetings all. I wanted to get some opinions on the drain shown in the attached photos, which was recently roughed in by my plumber in connection with my remodel of an upstairs bath. As you can see, the drain was brought down on one side of a girder, but the floor tie-in is on the opposite side of that girder (not sure why since there is good access from the side nearest the drain). Should I be concerned about the four elbows I am counting within this short span? Assume my plumber will resist re-piping….are my concerns valid? Is this a must do-over or is it ok? Appreciate some advice from the pros.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It might not be the way I would have done it, but then, I don't know why he did it that way. If there was some "overriding" reason, then it might be the "best" way. The piping above the floor might be more important, concerning how it was installed.

roskoe99

Reaction score
It might not be the way I would have done it, but then, I don't know why he did it that way. If there was some "overriding" reason, then it might be the "best" way. The piping above the floor might be more important, concerning how it was installed.

Thanks. I don’t believe there was any limitation dictating where the drain should be run—it’s just the way he decided to run it. The new dwv replaces an old iron corner stack. That iron stack was venting the toilet, and the bath also had a separate 2" galvanized vent for the sink and tub. The new dwv ties into the galvanized vent up near the bathroom ceiling, runs down the wall, across a 6' floor, and then down the wall to the basement as shown. I've attached a pick of the vent from the bath. Anything catch your eye? I'll post some pics of the rest of the rough later.

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    vent.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 351

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Nothing to go by as far as dimensions are concerned except by the laths, but the drain may be higher than most plumbers would make it, unless he is working to the specifications of a particular sink.

roskoe99

Reaction score
Nothing to go by as far as dimensions are concerned except by the laths, but the drain may be higher than most plumbers would make it, unless he is working to the specifications of a particular sink.

Thanks. Good point, I will have to confirm the height of the sink, which sits on a wash stand. What is considered acceptable amount of wiggle room? Also, the sanitary t is too high for the finished floor. Here are some pics of the rest of the rough -- had to reroute the vent as the plumber overlooked the inset medicine cab. Hopefully he paid attention to the rest of the cut sheets.

Attachments

• rough 1.jpg
    rough 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 302
  • rough 2.jpg
    rough 2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 274
  • rough 3.jpg
    rough 3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 306
  • rough 4.jpg
    rough 4.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 281
  • rough 5.jpg
    rough 5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 291

41Fever

Reaction score
Don't know if rough in plumber knew about inset medicine cabinet or not, but sure he would have brought vent to 6" above flood rim before going horizontal if he had!

roskoe99

Reaction score
Don't know if rough in plumber knew about inset medicine cabinet or not, but sure he would have brought vent to 6" above flood rim before going horizontal if he had!

Do you think its close enough not to cause any problems? The rough inspection was already completed BEFORE the plumber re-routed the vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks