Vessel sink installation - rigid?

Users who are viewing this thread

TruckeeTrout

Reaction score
I recently installed a vessel sink as part of a DIY remodel project. The sink is a Decolav, with all the proper hardware. My question is whether one should expect the sink to be rigid - that is, not move during normal cleaning and wiping. I'm reluctant to crank down on the thing. It's disconcerting to have the thing rotate a bit, but one has a very big lever arm when wiping the rim.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

George

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Turning is not good...the drain and especially the pop-up arm nor the seals. I'm not a pro, nor have I installed one. I'd seriously consider resetting it with some silicon under it. You could probably mask and wipe any that oozed out to maintain a clean look, but that would probably stop it. I'm picturing this as a sink thatsits above (mostly) the vanity. If I don't have the right idea, or to help others maybe consider posting a picture (manage attachments under the submit reply boxes).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If this is a vanity top that set on top of a cabinet, you need to run a bead of caulking around the cabinet edges. This will "glue" the top down to the cabinet. Don't rely on the plumbing to hold things in place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

Normally the drain is fastened only to the sink, and not the countertop also. Therefore the sink would always be free to move unless it is secured to the countertop with a bead of caulking on the underside.

TruckeeTrout

Reaction score
w/ install instructions

Thanks for your replies. Here's the Decolav installation directions which shows the 'sandwich' of drain, sink, mounting ring and countertop. The black washer shown there is rubber and forms a good seal - I've used the sink for a couple of months now without leaking. But the only way I can see to create a non-moving sink is to crank down (actually, up) on the nut on the tailpiece. It's just not clear that this is appropriate.

George

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

That sink has such a small footprint that it does require that the drain be used to secure the sink. However, I would still apply a bead of clear silicone on the bottom to secure it to the countertop.

TruckeeTrout

Reaction score
hj,

Thanks for your assistance. I ended up taking the thing apart and reassembling. Altho' the manufacturer's tech support guy said finger tight should be adequate, it wasn't. I snugged up the nut with a pair of channel locks and the sink will now not move during 'normal maintenance'. Because it's resting on a rubber gasket it's still possible to move it, but not during normal use.

Thanks again.

George

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks