Dole Valve vs. Gate Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

turkeyvulture

Reaction score
I am dealing with a low-yield well and storage tank situation. Dole valves keep coming up in the discussion. Can anyone say why a Dole valve is better than a gate valve? Seems like with a gate valve, you can adjust it to just below the well's yield. With the Dole valve, you have to know what the yield is, which may vary seasonally, and if you put in the wrong one you get to buy and put in a different one.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
They both accomplish the same thing. The gate valve will rattle loose and/or wear out, and the flow rate will increase without you knowing it. The Dole valve is designed to last with less than 125 PSI differential pressure. We usually use a Ball Valve as it doesn’t rattle loose. Take the handle off so nobody messes with it. But even a Ball valve will wash out with the water jetting through. So after testing the flow rate with the ball valve, you can replace it with a Dole valve of the right flow rate.

Do you really need a restrictor of any kind? If the pump will run at least 5 minutes before pumping the well dry, I would just use a Dry Well protection relay like the Cycle Sensor, and figure out how long to set the time to restart after pumping dry. The pump will produce more gallons per KW of electricity this way, as long as it doesn’t cycle more than say 30 times per day.

Either way you don’t have to restrict it to the exact recovery rate of the well. Just restrict the flow rate so the pump runs for 10 minutes or more before being shut off by the Dry Run relay. If the well will recover in 30 minutes, that is a cycle every 40 minutes, or 36 cycles per day. Just restrict the flow to make the pump run the length of time you want.

A short ¼” nipple makes a good restrictor as well, and a Stainless Steel nipple will last a long time.

lzenglish

Reaction score
I have ALWAYS used a "Globe Valve" for flow control, as that is what it is designed for! Never on a residential well pump system, but many many times on Commercial Applications.
Any Thoughts?

Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks