Air gap to disposal question

Users who are viewing this thread

AlaskaPanic

Reaction score
recently got new countertops and had the countertop guys install the new kitchen faucet and air gap. they had to move the disposal to the right side to accommodate
the depth of the new sink. anyway, first time they ran the 7/8 hose under the drain pipe and back up into the disposal causing the air gap to spit. i had to tell them that there should be no loop and that it should be a downhill slope on the 7/8 hose from air gap to disposal(scary b/c i don't know much about plumbing). so they did it and it stopped the air gap spitting. i've started noticing a little water seeping out from the base of my new delta kitchen faucet and a little seeping out under the soap dispenser. right at the base where they contact the granite. it's a tiny amount but it's driving me crazy trying to figure out where it's coming from. there are no leaks under the sink, but i did notice the 7/8 hose from air gap to disposal is still kinked some. the way the disposal is positioned the hose always seems to kink no matter how much it's been shortened. so my question is two fold: any tricks on getting that 7/8 hose unkinked(when i've already tried shortening it) and secondly could that kinked hose be causing the tiny amount of water to seep around the base of the kitchen faucet and soap dispenser? for what it's worth even though the hose is kinked we don't get the air gap spitting water when we run the dishwasher. so it must be letting enough water drain.

thanks for the help

AlaskaPanic

Reaction score
forgot to mention the water that mysteriously seeps at the base of the kitchen faucet and soap dispenser doesn't do it continuously. seems to be connected to when we run the dishwasher, but i can't be certain

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you cannot tell where the water is coming from, then we obviously can't either. It sounds like they put the air gap on the wrong side of the sink so the drain hose has to make a turn to get into the disposer. Two possibilities. if it is a new disposer, loosen the bolts holding it together and rotate the top to line up with the air gap, or use 3/4" copper elbows to make the turn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks