Raised shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick D

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement. The toilet and sink pipes are well located, with the later about 4 feet from the wall. Normally, i would dig the concrete to connect the drain for the bath/shower to the sink return. However, the concrete floor has roughhed in pex piping for heating. The pipes are not connected to a hot water source yet. I would not want to risk striking one of them if i can help it as that would ruin my hopes ofninfloor heating. If i raise the shower and allow the drain to flow to the sink return, then that would be golden. But i fear that this would be a can of worms i dont want to get into. The property plans do not include locations of the pex. There may be piping there or not.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A raised shower just shouts hack...I wouldn't do it. While not ideal, if you did cut a pex line(s), you can patch them reliably.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My sister has a raised tub ih a cabin that I have visited.
I get into it knowing it's raised. And then when I step out, I've totally forgotten what a big step it is down. Those extra four inches seem like a long ways when you forget about them.
If you do consider raising it, at least raise the floor in front of it to step down on.

Or if you break concrete and put the drain there, PEX is pretty easy to couple up.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
We have built a couple raised showers and you can do some pretty amazing things with this design. Consider using a side outlet drain.

ACO has just launched a new one and this simple design can help you limit the build up and produce a sweet looking shower.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks