Electric Hot Water Heater Code

Users who are viewing this thread

dentamok

Reaction score
I live in Oklahoma,, and I need a new electric water heater as mine is leaking. Do I have to build a stand to raise the water heater off the floor like you do for a gas powered model. It's currently sitting on the concrete in a drain pan. Can I just replace it on the concrete? Thanks for the help!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the changes in federal requirements on gas WH, you often don't need a stand for gas any more. Local codes may differ. New gas WH have a special flammable vaporproof burner now, and the burner itself is higher with the addition of that design, elevating them often isn't an issue. Now, you still wouldn't want to hit it with the car, so elevating it still has advantages.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only time an electric heater has to be on a stand is when it is in a garage where cars could impact it. In that case, steel pipe bollards will also protect it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks