Larger ID/OD versus Smaller OD on Utility Pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
What are the effects of running a larger or smaller OD hose relative to the the pump of the utility/sump/etc pump.

For example, on a utility floor pump that usually has a 1 1/4 outlet . They also generally also include a 1 1/4 - 3/4 GHT adapter.
Does running the pumping on 3/4" hose *kill the pump faster* due to the smaller restriction.

I suppose the same question applies on let's say a sump with a 1 1/2 outlet on it. If I pipe 2" all the way on the outlet on the 1 1/2" sump, does this have any detriment to the pump

In my application to the above statement, I am thinking about using/ordering a 2" flat discharge type hose instead of the 1 1/2 output that is on the sump. I'm using it for *dewatering purposes* so the sump is the perfect fit for the application...as it's not fixed. However, the 2" flat hose I see might be beneficial down the road if I end up adding a trash pump to my never ending collection of tools.

Not the ideal setup, but basically I'll be using a utility *surface pump* to pump water into a tub, and I'll place the sump into the tub for faster removal. I did this during Irene ...with a 3/4 garden hose off the sump pump. The oultet on the Zoeller is 1 1/2. Not sure if there is a detriment/downsize or loss of distance/vertical height if I connect a 2" trash hose to it.

The same goes for the utility pumps. It seems to suggest that using the smaller garden hose tends to kill the pump faster..

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks