Copper Pipe Support Question

Users who are viewing this thread

ash...housewares

Reaction score
I need to run a pipe from my basement laundry room to my back yard for a sprinkler system. The problem I have is that I have to run the pipe a distance of about 14' through the ceiling of my basement (drywalled). If I understand correctly, you're supposed to support a copper pipe every 4 feet or so on a straight run like that. Does anyone know how I can support this pipe without tearing up the drywall? I am running parallel to the joist.

I tried to show the area I'm talking about. Unfortunately my light wasn't quite powerful enough to see clearly to the end. Can I use the existing supports or the ledge of the joist as support for my pipe?

Thanks for any help you folks can give!
-Dan

photo.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Copper pipe can be supported every six feet.

What ever it takes. To the side of the joist, or you can put supporting wood in there and lay on top of that. Or pick up some hangering material.
Some plumbers used to put copper pipe sideways in a space like that and then solder the pipes to that.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited:

ash...housewares

Reaction score
If I use the ledge on the joist, does that count for support, or does it have to be attached to the joist every 6 feet? Alternatively, if I use supporting wood, does it have to be fastened to the wood somehow, or can it just rest on there?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it's not secured in place it is going to react to any type of water hammer, causing noise. Screwing it with clamps directly to the joists will transmit the noise of the flowing water into the wood and throughout the connected framing. It might be something you can live with, or it might be something that will annoy the heck out of you every time the water is running.
Often it's best to bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

ash...housewares

Reaction score
I think I can pull off fastening it, but in the event that I'm not able to, I won't be violating code if it's just resting on a wooden support, right?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure about that, but you will have a code violation unless you use the proper protection of a backflow valve to the sprinklers. In some places, this has to be tested and certified as actually still working on an annual basis.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make insulating clips that will nail onto the joist, yet allow for some noise dissipation.
Or you can take foam pipe insulation and some plumbers strap, and either hang the pipe or lay it on wood.

Attachments

• pipe_clamp_2hole.jpg
    pipe_clamp_2hole.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 529
  • pipe_clamp_plastic.jpg
    pipe_clamp_plastic.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 555
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks