(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light Pole

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    It is the difference in the UV protection mostly.
    Ah. I knew it was something like that I forgot, thanks.

410.6 Listing Required. All luminaires and lampholders shall be listed.
    What his means is that one cannot just throw some pipe together and call it a light. It must be evaluated by a NRTL
    Ok NTRL is a testing laboratory that is nationally recognized? What is stopping me for going to Avomeen. My point it is doesn't have to be evaluated by NRTL and that's only if I want to sell it which I don't. I would like you to tell me what 410.6 Listing Required that really interests me. Moreover I do not which to sell just create a good cheap light that can light pathways etc. in the process a few people have seen it and asked if I would build them one, and like DonL said about UV resistant's , which is the only problem I might face they are not a hazard to anyone. Oh and I am not installing them on commercial and or public land only private if that helps.
    Last edited by Cameron Fields; 04-10-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    410.6 Listing Required.

All luminaires and lampholders shall be listed.
    What his means is that one cannot just throw some pipe together and call it a light. It must be evaluated by a NRTL

Or the FAA if it is a Chinese lantern.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

The Rocket test should be later tonight or tomorrow...
    What rocket test?

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    Ok so you are saying its American to have a law mended?? It sounds non American and dictatorship not to change laws, for the good and better of the people in which it governs.
    NO, it's typically American to want to change a LAW simple to benefit one's self, which is what you are proposing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    NO, it's typically American to want to change a LAW simple to benefit one's self, which is what you are proposing.
    I feel very sorry for you.
    ¡Qué pena que sea que pienses eso.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There's a lot of materials science that goes into the rules. Stock PVC drainage pipe is not rated for long-term external UV exposure. There are lots of ways to make pvc from the density (some pipe is specifically lighter - it has air bubbles inside), UV resistance, heat stability, and probably other things as well. What you do for yourself is one thing (although if there was any eventual property or personal damage/injury caused by it, your insurance company may refuse to pay up), what you do with others, even if you give them away is risky. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

I feel very sorry for you.
    ¡Qué pena que sea que pienses eso.
    OK. I did have a little gas today. Thank you for your concern.
    And I don't speak Spanish.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I think you guys are off base.

Let's assume he has taken a common lamp holder and hung it from his makeshift post. I don't think it violates any code or law. People make custom lamps all the time using standard UL listed parts.

We all know that PVC DVW pipe is not intended for constant exposure to UV. His design and materials might not be the best choice, but don't see any law or code being broken.

How about people who have their yard lights installed on trees? I see that all the time, and don't think it's right. Is there a law against it?

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

There are several laws and codes are adopted into the law so they are laws, that come into play here. The post is being used to enclose the conductors that supply the bulb and this causes problems in and of itself.
    Then there are the issues of the connections of the wiring method used to the lamp holder. This must be enclosed. If the post is over a certain height there must be a hand hole enclosure at the bottom.

The bottom line is the entire fixture and pole must be evaluated by a NRTL and it does not matter if you are installing them on your own property or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    I think you guys are off base.

Let's assume he has taken a common lamp holder and hung it from his makeshift post. I don't think it violates any code or law. People make custom lamps all the time using standard UL listed parts.

We all know that PVC DVW pipe is not intended for constant exposure to UV. His design and materials might not be the best choice, but don't see any law or code being broken.

How about people who have their yard lights installed on trees? I see that all the time, and don't think it's right. Is there a law against it?
    Ok thank you for saying that well understood.
    ¡Qué pena que sea que pienses eso. translate to; What a pity it is that you think that.
    Last edited by Cameron Fields; 04-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    People make custom lamps all the time using standard UL listed parts.
    Yes, they do, and most of them are illegal. Moreover, they quite frequently are dangerous, ignoring well-established safety
    standards for light fixture construction. I don't think UL is in the business of listing luminaire "parts".

Mr. Fields, I'll put it to you bluntly: your fixtures are ugly trash, and illegal to install anywhere the NEC is in force, which is most of the U.S.A
    and beyond.

What rocket test?

The North Korea one.

Sorry to through you off topic.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Thumbs up

The North Korea one.

Sorry to through you off topic.
    Ah. I thought that's what you were talking about, it has my neighbor freaking out. Its all over my local news.

Mr. Fields, I'll put it to you bluntly: your fixtures are ugly trash, and illegal to install anywhere the NEC is in force, which is most of the U.S.A
    and beyond.
    Ugly trash is a matter of opinion, however I believe you are correct! like the commenter stated above I will contact NRTL later today to get my "homemade" product tested so that it has a chance to be legal. And that people won't have to worry if I am installing a hazard. Thank you all for your very descriptive opinions.

! like the commenter stated above I will contact NRTL later today to get my "homemade" product tested so that it has a chance to be legal. And that people won't have to worry if I am installing a hazard. Thank you all for your very descriptive opinions.
    Some of the nationally recognzed testing labs are UL, ETL, etc. NOW, are you aware of the cost of obtaining such a listing??? It has been many years since I have been involved, but today I think between $5k and $10k will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Some of the nationally recognized testing labs are UL, ETL, etc. NOW, are you aware of the cost of obtaining such a listing??? It has been many years since I have been involved, but today I think between $5k and $10k will do it.
    Ah. i have heard of this, WOW i did not know they NRTL was so expensive my neighbors landlord Paul went to Aveomeen i think and they did not even test the product they just charged him then listed it. I talked with my neighbor and in more polite words for this forum she advised me not to go to NRTL. She claims that they charged and they do not really even test the products is that true. Is it just like BBB if so i don't care if my product is illegal they can stick there UL listing where the sun don't shine. And if they want to sue me for diligence or whatever may god be on there side.

A racket is a service that is fraudulently offered to solve a problem, such as for a problem that does not actually exist, will not be affected, or would not otherwise exist. Conducting a racket is racketeering.[1] Particularly, the potential problem may be caused by the same party that offers to solve it, although that fact may be concealed, with the specific intent to engender continual patronage for this party.
    Wiki Media Foundation