Shower Valve Flow Rate

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob C

Reaction score
I am remodeling my shower. I have a Danze shower valve. I looked down into the outlet of the valve and it appears that the water will be actually flowing through a hole that is about 3/16 dia inside the valve. Is this right?? What flow rate should I get through the valve?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That spec should be on the spec sheet for the specific valve. Depending on the design, smaller orifices in a valve may or may not present a huge restriction...while it slows the water down, if the narrowing insn't too long, it speeds up going through, and then slows down on the outlet, keeping the flow rate similar to not having the restriction at all...all depends on how short and careful the deisgn is. Look up the venturi effect.

Now, if this is only feeding a single showerhead, it may easily supply the water to the head - all today are restricted to 2.5gpm max (at a certain supply pressure - yours may be lower, and you'd get less).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The manufacturers do not really have to worry about the size of the port in the valve, because the shower delivery is capped at 2.5 gpm, regardless of where the restriction occurs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks