Galvanized Tee for kitchen drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Just1

Reaction score
Long time lurker first time posting. I'm renovating a kitchen and removed a rusted out galvanized pipe nipple by cutting a V into the nipple and then removing it with a hammer and chisel. I noticed that I cut into the threads when I cut the V. I don't feel too comfortable threading a new nipple into these threads. Do you guys think its ok? Will it seal properly with teflon tape and dope? Should I just replace the galv tee with a pvc tee? How difficult is that to do considering the weight of the galvanized pipe? Thanks in advance.
Justin

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It likely would seal OK, but you are looking at a major pipe replacement sooner or later, and probably sooner. As you probably know, galvanized pipe steel that has been coated with zinc to retard (not prevent) rust. Lifespan of galvanized pipe will vary depending on mineral content in the water, but the rusted nipple would suggest the rest of the pipe is probably not far behind.

Just1

Reaction score
It likely would seal OK, but you are looking at a major pipe replacement sooner or later, and probably sooner. As you probably know, galvanized pipe steel that has been coated with zinc to retard (not prevent) rust. Lifespan of galvanized pipe will vary depending on mineral content in the water, but the rusted nipple would suggest the rest of the pipe is probably not far behind.

That's what I thought. I had my neighbor look at it. He's a plumber. He says the nipple was rusted because it was horizontal and that's where the water sits.

Just1

Reaction score
Drain pipe for kitchen sink. It's a tee that goes straight up the roof and the bottom part connects to the main cast iron drain.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would tend to agree with the plumber. Some things put down the kitchen drain are acidic and will slowly corrode the bottom of the horizontal piping. Normally it will be the threaded part of the horizontal pipe that starts leaking, as it is the thinnest part of the piping system.

nipple-rusted.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Just1

Reaction score
So should I reconnect to the galvanized tee with the nicked threads or should I replace the tee with a pvc one? The galv tee does not look like its in really bad shape.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's in reasonable shape, and you're not going to replace any more right now, do not substitute in a female threaded pvc T...they almost always end up splitting eventually. A male pvc fitting into a female has a chance of surviving, but not the other way around. I'd use pipe dope on the connection rather than tape, as I think it would seal better on the rough threads. To get the old T out of there, you'd need to tear out a lot more.

Just1

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Jim. I wasn't thinking of putting in a threaded pvc tee. I was thinking of cutting out the old tee and a couple inches above and below it and put in a pvc tee with with some short pvc stubs and fernco mission couplings to join to the galvanized. However I'm not going to do this if I can get a good seal threading into the existing tee. I'm a little bit annoyed at myself for cutting into the female threads. I thought I was being extremely careful.

Just1

Reaction score
Cacher chick could I just use a male threaded trap adapter and skip the nipple or do I need the nipple going into the tee?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the tee is recessed inside the wall, a trap adapter alone might not stick out far enough. It needs to stick out far enough to get your pliers/wrench on when installing the trap arm. It the threaded opening of the tee is right at the face of the wall it should work fine without a nipple. (one can buy male or female trap adapters)

Just1

Reaction score
Thanks. I know what you're saying now. I thought about it and realized without the nipple it would be too far in the wall. Can I use a brass nipple into a galv tee? Can I connect a pvc trap to a brass slip joint adapter?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Brass is pretty inert, so yes, it should work into the T. The OD of tubular drain piping is supposed to be a standard size, so yes, it should work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
For a drain, a galvanized nipple is more than adequate, and finding a 1 1/2" brass nipple might be difficult in some areas, besides being expensive. But you do want a trap adapter, don't use a washer and slip nut directly on to the nipple. The nick on the threads is also not a factor for a drain line which seldom has pressure on it.

nipple-rusted.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Just1

Reaction score
Thanks hj. It's actually a 2 inch nipple and I was not able to find a brass nipple in that size. The only thing I was worried about really was me cutting into the female threads in the tee. Kind of mad at myself for doing that. Even though I was being careful.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Pipe dope verses tape, will fill any voids better. Should be fine.

Just1

Reaction score
Thanks every body. I appreciate the help. So I am going to use a 4 inch long nipple then a brass trap adapter. Then my pvc p trap can go into the adapter correct?

Just1

Reaction score
Is that the best way to do it? Or should i use a fernco mission style coupling on the galvanized nipple and then switch to pvc ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks