(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Galvanized Tee for kitchen drain

Default Galvanized Tee for kitchen drain

Long time lurker first time posting. I'm renovating a kitchen and removed a rusted out galvanized pipe nipple by cutting a V into the nipple and then removing it with a hammer and chisel. I noticed that I cut into the threads when I cut the V. I don't feel too comfortable threading a new nipple into these threads. Do you guys think its ok? Will it seal properly with teflon tape and dope? Should I just replace the galv tee with a pvc tee? How difficult is that to do considering the weight of the galvanized pipe? Thanks in advance.
    Justin
    Last edited by Just1; 04-05-2013 at 04:16 PM.

It likely would seal OK, but you are looking at a major pipe replacement sooner or later, and probably sooner. As you probably know, galvanized pipe steel that has been coated with zinc to retard (not prevent) rust. Lifespan of galvanized pipe will vary depending on mineral content in the water, but the rusted nipple would suggest the rest of the pipe is probably not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Swart View Post
    It likely would seal OK, but you are looking at a major pipe replacement sooner or later, and probably sooner. As you probably know, galvanized pipe steel that has been coated with zinc to retard (not prevent) rust. Lifespan of galvanized pipe will vary depending on mineral content in the water, but the rusted nipple would suggest the rest of the pipe is probably not far behind.
    That's what I thought. I had my neighbor look at it. He's a plumber. He says the nipple was rusted because it was horizontal and that's where the water sits.

What kind of pipe is it? Water or drainage?
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Drain pipe for kitchen sink. It's a tee that goes straight up the roof and the bottom part connects to the main cast iron drain.
    Last edited by Just1; 04-04-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

It would tend to agree with the plumber. Some things put down the kitchen drain are acidic and will slowly corrode the bottom of the horizontal piping. Normally it will be the threaded part of the horizontal pipe that starts leaking, as it is the thinnest part of the piping system.

So should I reconnect to the galvanized tee with the nicked threads or should I replace the tee with a pvc one? The galv tee does not look like its in really bad shape.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If it's in reasonable shape, and you're not going to replace any more right now, do not substitute in a female threaded pvc T...they almost always end up splitting eventually. A male pvc fitting into a female has a chance of surviving, but not the other way around. I'd use pipe dope on the connection rather than tape, as I think it would seal better on the rough threads. To get the old T out of there, you'd need to tear out a lot more.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks for the response Jim. I wasn't thinking of putting in a threaded pvc tee. I was thinking of cutting out the old tee and a couple inches above and below it and put in a pvc tee with with some short pvc stubs and fernco mission couplings to join to the galvanized. However I'm not going to do this if I can get a good seal threading into the existing tee. I'm a little bit annoyed at myself for cutting into the female threads. I thought I was being extremely careful.

I would use pipe dope and a brass nipple of an appropriate length, finished with a brass trap adapter.

Cacher chick could I just use a male threaded trap adapter and skip the nipple or do I need the nipple going into the tee?

If the tee is recessed inside the wall, a trap adapter alone might not stick out far enough. It needs to stick out far enough to get your pliers/wrench on when installing the trap arm. It the threaded opening of the tee is right at the face of the wall it should work fine without a nipple. (one can buy male or female trap adapters)

Thanks. I know what you're saying now. I thought about it and realized without the nipple it would be too far in the wall. Can I use a brass nipple into a galv tee? Can I connect a pvc trap to a brass slip joint adapter?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Brass is pretty inert, so yes, it should work into the T. The OD of tubular drain piping is supposed to be a standard size, so yes, it should work.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

For a drain, a galvanized nipple is more than adequate, and finding a 1 1/2" brass nipple might be difficult in some areas, besides being expensive. But you do want a trap adapter, don't use a washer and slip nut directly on to the nipple. The nick on the threads is also not a factor for a drain line which seldom has pressure on it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber