Sizing and Spec Help? Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I started as a salesman for a dealer in mid 1989, then very soon I quit and looked into starting my own dealership and went broke in a few months. Months later after talking to many people in the business I figured out what I did wrong and took a salesman job with a large regional company and I got fired there a year later although I ranked #2 in sales out of 78 stores. I had met an old guy distributor there and I called him about buying from him and I started my dealership. I used him as my only supplier for many years and when I had a doubt or question I called him until he sold out in the late 1990s.

I grew until 2007 and then picked back up until 2010 but..

For many years I sized just as you are but when I starting selling over the internet one of my first sales was in a house with 5 bathrooms and 6 adults including 2 master baths with 6 body sprays each and a large jetted tub.

That was way over my head so I called my the old guy distributor (he'd been a dealer for 20+ years before becoming a dist.) for help in sizing and.he mentioned SFR and I said "John, what the hell is SFR, Slusser's what"? He says Service Flow Rate, I'm sure you were taught about it. I had gone to school many times with that regional company, even belonged to the WQA and subscribed to 3 industry magazines. He went on to say but like most guys you paid no attention to it but you better now or you will have a lot of unhappy long distance customers. That sale was in 2002 before I had a web site (9/2003).

BTW, I never had any book, only the those magazines and a good memory.

I used total revenue and profit as my yardstick to measure growth, not a loss or gain of customers. Frankly you are smarter than me because I wouldn't know how to do that. How do you do that? And why would you do that?

A... that would be tooting, tooting my own horn. .

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
A softener, or filter, has to be sized by the constant SFR gpm of the resin or mineral to be able to successfully treat the peak demand gpm that your plumbing can deliver; or actually, your peak demand gpm water use as a family.

I suspect that the issue here is one of confusion. The filter chosen will have a constant SFR/GPM that depends on the size of the tank/valve and the type of resin. The home has an SFR/GPM flow rate that depends on the size of the piping, the output pressure and volume of the pump (or water supply) the number of fixtures and the fixture flow rate. The filtration equipment has to be sized according to the SFR/GPM of the residence or business it is installed in. Codes want the equipment to be able to handle the full SFR and honestly, its going to be overkill because hardly anyone opens every faucet and flushes every toilet in the house at the same time. So, the code is the code is the code and I'd bet that 90% of the guys installing equipment use the "close enough" method most of the time.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I started as a salesman for a dealer in mid 1989, then very soon I quit and looked into starting my own dealership and went broke in a few months. Months later after talking to many people in the business I figured out what I did wrong and took a salesman job with a large regional company and I got fired there a year later although I ranked #2 in sales out of 78 stores. I had met an old guy distributor there and I called him about buying from him and I started my dealership. I used him as my only supplier for many years and when I had a doubt or question I called him until he sold out in the late 1990s.

I grew until 2007 and then picked back up until 2010 but..

For many years I sized just as you are but when I starting selling over the internet one of my first sales was in a house with 5 bathrooms and 6 adults including 2 master baths with 6 body sprays each and a large jetted tub.

That was way over my head so I called my the old guy distributor (he'd been a dealer for 20+ years before becoming a dist.) for help in sizing and.he mentioned SFR and I said "John, what the hell is SFR, Slusser's what"? He says Service Flow Rate, I'm sure you were taught about it. I had gone to school many times with that regional company, even belonged to the WQA and subscribed to 3 industry magazines. He went on to say but like most guys you paid no attention to it but you better now or you will have a lot of unhappy long distance customers. That sale was in 2002 before I had a web site (9/2003).

BTW, I never had any book, only the those magazines and a good memory.

I used total revenue and profit as my yardstick to measure growth, not a loss or gain of customers. Frankly you are smarter than me because I wouldn't know how to do that. How do you do that? And why would you do that?

A... that would be tooting, tooting my own horn. .
If you grew up in the water industry like I did (2 years with Kinetico dealer first as a warehouse Mgr than a svc tech/install...7 yrs with an EcoWater dealer as the Svc Mgr....2 yrs with US Filter as the Svc Mgr...2 years as svc tech/installer/salesman for a Reionator dealer...then I moved to Fla where I sold for an Eco dealer than an Ionics dealer before opening my own company 7 years ago. I did not fail as you did because I not only learned how they work, I also learned how to install and size them. This is why I am still in business.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Well, hands down, you have me beat what with all that previous management experience, although it's in a warehouse and service departments. I'm thinking you might be a bit weak in sales.

That time as a service manager and the brands of the equipment is probably why you cover your butt at the customer's expense while paying little attention to good salt efficiency.

I forgot, haven't you forgot your Army experience?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, hands down, you have me beat what with all that previous management experience, although it's in a warehouse and service departments. I'm thinking you might be a bit weak in sales.

That time as a service manager and the brands of the equipment is probably why you cover your butt at the customer's expense while paying little attention to good salt efficiency.

I forgot, haven't you forgot your Army experience?
I knew you would get in your cheap shots. I have salesman awards to prove you wrong once again. BTW, I did not do water treatment while in the army so why mention it. I'm done with this. It is not helping anyone.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Hi Freddi why not try with an electronic descaler or no salt conditioner? that’s what we did and now we don’t have to worry about buying salt every month, it just runs in the background with no problem, no maintenance. We get the ********** It cost less than $600. It’s cool. We’re happy. We found them at ********** fyi. Hope it helps you!

LOL, nice commercial.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Freddi, here is the programming guide you were asking about.

7000 25.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks