(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Sizing and Spec Help? Water Softener

Hybrid View

Default Sizing and Spec Help? Water Softener

Thank you in advance for your help, I have been reading alot here, and see that there are quite a few people in the know, and have been very helpful in the past. I hope to be able to tap that myself!

Here are the usage particulars:

- 3700 sq.ft. home with 3.5 bathrooms, 2 with bathtub, 2 Showers with water saver heads
    - 1 bath, and 2 showers a day, typically.
    - 5 people
    - 1" copper softener loop
    - Based on water usage, for the previous year, (not including irrigation) averages about 500 gallons a day. (I'm guessing the kids take too long in the shower)

Here are the water particulars (municipal water - Blaine, MN)

- hardness (grains) 18-20
    - iron (ppm): 0.00

After I talked to the City Water Super, he commented that the iron is 0.0 for 9 months out of the year, but during the summer they have to use extra wells, and that they poly during those summer months, but I might see some days that approach 1-2ppm.

My concerns; My family will be getting smaller in the next three years. I don't want a system that will be grossly oversized. (I don't mind if it back washes more than once a week, for the next couple of years) From the various calculators out there, I seem to be coming in with recommendations that vary between a 80K and 110K.

Should I stick with a 80K unit? Is that too big? Standard resin ok, or consider a better stuff, for the longevity? Turbolator a good idea too handle the occasional Iron the system will see? I do like the idea of a larger resin tank, to facilitate better flows. I will probably pair this with a Fleck7000 head.

Point me in the right direction...Please?

Take care.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Talke your 500 GPD and times by the hardness of 20=10,000 grains of removal per day. If you go 7 days between regens, that's an 80K system with a reserve.

That will give him terrible salt efficiency.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    That will give him terrible salt efficiency.
    So what should I consider instead? Bigger unit?

I understand the math above, but it doesn't take the occasional iron dosing. Should I adjust for that?

If they chlorinate the water there wont be any iron in your water. Most water companies do chlorinate.

When you say "poly" for the summer, that usually means no chlorine and they are sequestering the iron with a chemical so you don't 'see' results of the iron. A potential problem is when the water is heated, the iron might get out of the chemical encapsulation and cause stains.

Click the red Click Here link in my signature for more info on sizing and salt efficiency.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

The problem with using less salt per CF is the higher chance of having hardness bleed through. Salt is about $ .10 per pound so I would ratner use $5-10 more per year than have hardness bleed through from trying to save a little.

Hi Freddi why not try with an electronic descaler or no salt conditioner? thatís what we did and now we donít have to worry about buying salt every month, it just runs in the background with no problem, no maintenance. We get the Scalewatcher 3 Star It cost less than $600. Itís cool. Weíre happy. We found them at aquagenesisusa.com fyi. Hope it helps you!

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevenjer View Post
    Hi Freddi why not try with an electronic descaler or no salt conditioner? thatís what we did and now we donít have to worry about buying salt every month, it just runs in the background with no problem, no maintenance. We get the ********** It cost less than $600. Itís cool. Weíre happy. We found them at ********** fyi. Hope it helps you!
    LOL, nice commercial.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Freddi, here is the programming guide you were asking about.

Name:  7000 25.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  60.8 KB