Is there anything I should do to a cut pipe before using a push to connect connector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Do I just cut the pipe and attach the connector, or should I clean the outside with emery paper first (and/or do something else)?

Thanks all!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I assume you're talking about something like the Sharkbite? It is critical that the cut be square to the pipe, all rough edges be removed, the end reamed back to proper shape (often a result of the tubing cutter's wheel bending the end in) and that you debur the end. If using a Sharkbite, they make a tool specifically for deburring the end. It puts a slight beveled edge on the pipe. All of this is to ensure that you do not damage the o-ring(s) that create the seal. There should be nothing on the pipe (no paint, drywall compound, glue, stickers, etc.), but it does not need to be cleaned and polished like when soldering on a connection. Depending on the grit, emery paper might make it harder for the o-ring to seal...they like smooth surfaces!

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed information! I'm actually not using a sharkbite, just a flex with a john guest push to connect connector at one end. Here's the PTC end of the hose. Does that change anything?

Appreciate the help!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It still seals with an o-ring or two...the basics are the same. The end needs to be square, clean, and no rough edges. The pipe has to be clean and smooth. It's a good idea to mark the pipe so you know when you've fully inserted the fitting all the way. They usually include that info with the instructions - it's often in the 1" range. Fail to insert it fully, and it can leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks