relocating toilet/shower on concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

GatorKenD

Reaction score
Hi - I'm at the planning stage on remodeling two back-to-back bathrooms. In the small "south" bathroom, I want to put a tub in where the toilet is currently located (marked "A") and move the toilet to where the shower currently is ("B"). Below is a closeup of the plumbing plans for this space. The house is a 1979 north-Florida home on concrete slab (and I'd like to minimize how much concrete I have to remove!) The roof of the house is also concrete so I'm hoping the existing vents are adequate as additional roof penetrations would make this a lot more complicated. I'm looking for suggestions as the most straightforward way to reconfigure this. Thanks!
Ken bathroom plumbing2.jpg

Attachments

• bathroom plumbing2.jpg
    bathroom plumbing2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,272
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the pipe is installed the way you show it, then removing toilet "A" would make the vent at the other toilet "legal". Your current shower drain is NOT "legal" the way you show it, and putting the toilet connection there would also be improper, unless you add a vent for it. The shower needs a new connection so you can put it anywhere you want to, as long as you vent its trap.

GatorKenD

Reaction score
Hey hj - The drawing was the original architect's plan. I suppose its possible (and maybe likely) the plumber vented the shower correctly when he did the work (B). I attached a revised drawing so that I could ask some additional questions. I know some of this is "what if" but I want to have a plan (and some Plan B's and C's) in mind before I jump in. Some more specific questions:

1) For a house built in 1979, is it likely the toilet drain is 3" and the shower drain 2"? Can I tell without busting slab (i.e., is the diameter of the trap pipe likely the same as the shower drain?)
2) I want the new tub drain located at point E. Any reason I can't tie the trap under the tub to the old toilet drain at point A? (keep in mind I've got another toilet on that drain in the north bath... sure don't want what's going into the north toilet coming up the south tub!)
3) I want the new toilet drain located at point C. If the old shower drain is 3", any reason I can't use the old shower drain? (again, assuming that there is a vent for the old shower or I install one at this location now.
4) If the old shower drain is 2" and I can't use it for the toilet, can I tie in my new toilet drain (C) into the old one at point D? (in an effort to avoiding taking up any more slab than I have to)

Thanks!
Ken

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The drawing was the original architect's plan

In that case it probably does not have any correlation to the actual installed piping. The plumber would have installed it the way HE wanted to.
1. It is very likely that they are those sizes.
2.You CAN connect the tub anywhere you want to, BUT, it must have the proper venting, which it would not have if you just connect the trap there, besides, to do so would almost require that you create an "S" trap.
3. It will NOT be so don't even get your hopes up.
4. No, or rather, ONLY if you vent it properly. As shown, it does NOT have a vent.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks