(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Need assistance of tub/shower location (and type)

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    Can you tell me what program you used? to make the plans?
    I just kept it simple and used Powerpoint..with a 1/4" = 1 foot grid as a background (layout).
    Found it here

Added my own shapes as needed.

I was wondering the same thing. When I play around with stuff I generally use Sims 3 or just draw it out in MSpaint- but the latter is not very accurate. The former is very limited and requires quite a lot of custom content. I used to make custom content for Sims 2, but Sims 3 is more complicated.

Rapida, how much space do you have under your vanity? If you install a drawer it will be about one inch shallower than the height of the toekick. There is a website that explains how to make the toekick drawer: http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...orage/View-All
    You can have some that require a knob or handle or you can make it so that when you kick it, it pops out. That might get annoying if you accidentally kick it though.

mediaman, I couldn't find any horror stories,but I didn't really look hard. It would be cool if you could figure out how to have the curved arch have hidden storage (I did say I'm obsessed with hidden storage). That is if you decide to do the arch. I'm trying to think of the best way to accomplish that.

Was the corner tub you were considering skirted or drop-in? If its drop in, its possible to have hidden storage around the tub like so:

You probably couldn't do that with a standalone. You could store washcloths, extra soap, cleaning supplies, etc.

And since I'm still throwing ideas out:

What are the dimensions of the bathroom again? I know from wall to hallway was something like 8 feet? What was the length from the wall to where you planned to have the door and then the width of the alcove and length from alcove wall to the opposite wall?

Your bathtub is wider than one of my bathrooms-- the bathroom is 56" and the toilet is crammed in a 23" wide alcove.
    Last edited by suceress; 04-08-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Just throwing possibilities:
    1. in plan D, if you move the shower glass to close to the vanity, and put a neo-angle shower door, you can reduce the width of the shower and have a wider bathroom door, without reducing the size of the shower.
    2. if you move the toilet to the alcove, you can have your free standing tub inside your shower. That will solve the splash problem, cleaning problem (just use your handheld to rinse it down), and side-by-side problem). The draw back is a shower that big could be drafty.
    3. you may add a window on the exterior wall, if the view is nice and privateName:  shower-room-bathroom.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  31.6 KBName:  marble bath inside a shower mosaic brick.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  55.1 KB.

Suceress, I love that toilet brush holder too! Where can I buy one?

Now my toe kick space under vanity is 4.5". I was planning to cut it down to 3.5". But seeing how the space could be used, I might not cut it down. Thanks for the link. I really wish I can get used to the 36" vanity height. I've been brushing my teeth by the kitchen sink for a while, and haven't got used to it yet.

I used Adobe Illustrator from work to make my drawings. An easy alternative could be have your PowerPoint on a grid background (6" per grid or more accurate), and throw your shapes on top.

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by rapida View Post
    I used Adobe Illustrator from work to make my drawings. An easy alternative could be have your PowerPoint on a grid background (6" per grid or more accurate), and throw your shapes on top.
    Yea i had adobe master collections for business enterprise and my computer crashed i did not have the dvds because it was over the air download, and they won't re-install it because i lost the key with the computer crash.

Suceress, I love that toilet brush holder too! Where can I buy one?

Now my toe kick space under vanity is 4.5". I was planning to cut it down to 3.5". But seeing how the space could be used, I might not cut it down. Thanks for the link. I really wish I can get used to the 36" vanity height. I've been brushing my teeth by the kitchen sink for a while, and haven't got used to it yet.
    I found the toilet brush thing on Pinterest but when I clicked the link it said it was no longer active. I'm trying to see if amazon or some place has it. Some site called "abledata" was linked to, but it seems to be gone. No hits on amazon-- just a bunch of recessed toilet paper holders. :-( I'm bummed that its gone. It was there the first time I clicked the link. I'll still keep looking.
    Edit: It's called Brush-Away In-Wall Toilet Brush Cabinet and is a discontinued product. The Brushaway site is no longer active. I wonder if its still possible to find it though. It was about $30 from what I read.

I wonder if it would be possible to utilize something in the toekick to have a piece come out that could support your weight so you could stand on it and wouldn't have to bend at the chest. I'm not sure what it would take to make that, but I think you could find plans to have something that folds out. Or maybe you can stand on a bathroom scale for added height?

I've seen showerheads in bath/shower combos and shower attachments for freestanding tubs, but I've never seen a freestanding tub inside a shower before.
    Last edited by suceress; 04-08-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Yea i had adobe master collections for business enterprise and my computer crashed i did not have the dvds because it was over the air download, and they won't re-install it because i lost the key with the computer crash.
    If you still have your receipt, definitely call them. It's very expensive software and they have to honor your receipt. Just make sure you didn't get the monthly version though (good for only one month). Even with the DVD, Adobe does not allow you to install on another computer if the old one crashes, unless you call them and verify there is no other copy running on a different computer. They are very strict on that. I once upgraded a computer and had to call them to be able to install Photoshop on the new computer.

If you have important or a lot of software on your computer, backing up files is not enough. Clone your entire hard drive.
    Last edited by rapida; 04-08-2013 at 03:45 PM.

If you still have your receipt, definitely call them. It's very expensive software and they have to honor your receipt. Just make sure you didn't get the monthly version though (good for only one month). Even with the DVD, Adobe does not allow you to install on another computer if the old one crashes, unless you call them and verify there is no other copy running on a different computer. They are very strict on that. I once upgraded a computer and had to call them to be able to install Photoshop on the new computer.

If you have important or a lot of software on your computer, backing up files is not enough. Clone your entire hard drive.
    Yes, and make a backup of the cloned version. I won't get into details, but my harddrive was stolen and the backup drive that I had copied everything to died so I lost all of my stuff.

Hopefully you can get the software back.

Now, anyone heard much about freestanding tubs vs ones in alcoves or built in?

Quote Originally Posted by suceress View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I use Powerpoint with a grid layout, but got a message my post is being reviewed by a moderator ( as I included the a link to the page where I downloaded the file). I guess it never got 'approved'.

Mediaman, although your wife may not like it, to me it's not a bad idea to have the shower and tub next to each other. You can extend the tub deck to make a nice bench in the shower. See below. Name:  contemporary-bathroom.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  37.3 KBName:  traditional-bathroom.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  87.3 KB

Seen many of those bath/bench/shower combos and I think they look great.

In trying to figure out how I could best accomondate that type of combo in my space, I came up with using the "alcove" area for the shower and then wrap around onto the tub along the long outside wall. It kinnda works! Although, on the negative, this does make for a mega size shower. Perhaps I can cut it down and get more storage in there,

After that, our issue has always been that the natural spot for the double vanity is also along a long wall...but then that makes for a very tight area in between the tub and vanity. Recall, I have 96", but after allowing for 45" for a drop in 42" tub, plus 24" for a vanity, that only leaves 27" to walk between teh tub and a the vanity...too tight.. So instead, I thought why not put the vanity on the end wall, and place the shallower makeup table across the tub. See Plan F

This has the added advantage of giving me room for more storage by the vanity.

Better still, the toilet doesnt need to move!

Finally, with the tub next to that outside wall, it made me wonder if I want to punch a hole in that wall for a window! There are none in the bathroom now. But thenagain, it may be cheaper to put in a skylight. they would be quite cool I think and would brighten up the room.

So Plan F is looking interesting.

All that said, I know the wife doesnt really like this (!!!) , so I need to work on that....otherwise I am building a really nice doghouse

But it got me thinking about using the same configuration for a freestanding tub, which I know she does like. See Plan F2.

Another vairation is Plan F3, where the shower is made samller, and more room for storage is included.

Gonna let those plans soak for a bit (no pun intended). I may be onto something.

Gonna put all my plans together side-by-each (inclduing Plan E, not posted) so I can see :
    - which ones meet our must have priority requiremernts
    - which ones do so by incurring substanitalvs nominal cost ( eg plumbing)
    - which ones we simple dont not like aesthetically and can rule out.

Will share that when ready.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by mediaman; 04-09-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Nice ideas!
    I'll be honest, while skylights look neat, I always worry about them. They have to be done exactly right to not leak. Windows do too, but at least windows are vertical and you don't have to worry about rain coming down directly on them. I've never been a fan of skylights. I still remember a Youtube video of a woman screaming as hail busted out her skylights and came crashing into her home. That would be a nightmare. Of course, maybe it doesn't snow or hail in your area.

Does your wife use Pinterest? If she does, have her search it for "bathroom", "master bathroom" and/or "master bath" and it will have all sorts of pictures for her to look at. Having her look at pictures and pick ideas that she likes might help.

What are your "must have" requirements for the bathroom?

What are your wife's wants for the bathroom?

Was she in favor of a corner tub or against?

Here is a corner tub with shower next to it.

A corner tub up against a vanity

A curved corner shower/tub combo

A free standing tub next to a shower

Another corner tub up against a shower, but in a sort of odd placement.

I'm wondering if there are any free online things that let you plug in dimensions of rooms and such and then put in objects and see how they would look. I know they have home planning software that costs money. I still have some old CAD software but I think it is used with DOS, Windows NT and Windows 95/98. LOL.

Hopefully this link will be allowed: It has a list of 10 free software programs for designing houses/rooms. I'm looking at it right now to see if I can find one I like for planning and playing around.
    http://freshome.com/2010/08/18/10-be...ams-and-tools/

I forgot to ask about the bulkhead. How far down does it come? And do you know what is behind/inside it? Could it be vent pipes or ductwork that can't be moved easily?

Maybe its because I'm a picture whore, but photos of the current layout would be cool to help visualize what you have and how it can be changed.

Also, I know you designed the double vanity so you obviously want two sinks-- but is that for aesthetics or do you both plan to be using sinks at the same time? Would a double sink vanity not fit in the alcove-- even if it sort of went around a corner? Like having a corner counter wrap around? I know that would entail more plumbing changes.

Another thing would be, if you don't care about having the sinks on the same vanity and just the use of two sinks is to have each sink on either opposite walls or in different places. Like one next to the tub or shower or something. I'm probably not describing that very well.
    Here is one example of the sinks being on separate counters. Obviously you might want the corner tub on a different wall so you wouldn't have to move the toilet. I sort of like how the surface around the tub wraps around like a bench with storage underneath.

Oh, and I believe they also make some shower doors that slide instead of open outward or inward. Not sure how difficult that would be to get done though.
    Last edited by suceress; 04-09-2013 at 03:22 PM.

I got bored so here are some very rough sketches I tried to do using MSPaint to move stuff around from your sketches.

G1 door moved over in hallway to be next to toilet. Shower moved to wall against hallway with door opening to the right. Alcove has dresser/makeup station. Freestanding tub on left wall still.

G2 door moved to enter in alcove-- opening to the right. Corner tub on left and outer wall. Vanity bumped over to the right a bit. Shower in same place as G1.

G3 door in alcove and freestanding tub instead of corner tub.

G4 door next to toilet. Shower on hallway wall, dresser/makeup station in alcove

G5 door in alcove but shower door opens to left toward toilet. Bench placement can be moved and maybe even have corner seat or something.

Since I don't know the actual dimensions some of these may not work. I was thinking the alcove could be almost like a closet area if the door is moved to next to the toilet.

Alternatively, you could try corner tub on outside wall in left corner next to the shower and move the vanity down to the hallway wall and have the door in the alcove. Or have the door in the corner on the left side of the toilet (if that is feasible). I guess it all depends on your layout and where you want the doors and such and where doors can be placed).

I didn't do a drawing, but here is a corner vanity. Not sure if this would have you and your wife tripping over one another though. Probably would need to move the sinks a little farther apart and have a bit longer of a run on the countertops.

I don't know if this is very helpful, but is sure is fun playing with the layout. LOL.
    Last edited by suceress; 04-09-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: oops.

Quote Originally Posted by mediaman View Post
    I use Powerpoint with a grid layout, but got a message my post is being reviewed by a moderator ( as I included the a link to the page where I downloaded the file). I guess it never got 'approved'.
    Yea I don't know why the message did not go though you can try again I would like to see that link. try pasting it and then taking off the www. and it might not recognize as a link