What system do I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben Jones

Reaction score
well system.jpg

hello, I just bought my first house that is on well in Lutz, Florida. I am no well expert, so I was wondering if someone can explain what kind of system I have in the picture attached.

Also, the pump keeps shutting off at random. My neighbor showed me a trick where I take the plastic electrical connection cover off and use it to release the tension on the connections and then let it snap back together. This resets the connection and then it works fine (for a day or two at least). A friend suggested that I may need to buy a new switch. Ideas?

The water inside the house has a funky smell, tastes metallic, and has a light brown color when the hot water is running. I am interested in purchasing an upgrade with reverse osmosis and anything else to make the water cleaner. But I have no idea where to start!
Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
OK I will give this a try. I can’t see the well. I assume it is a well point, driven into the ground 10’ to 15’. Also assuming there is a check valve on the suction side of the pump. What I can see us a jet pump, an inline filter, water softener, and about an 80 gallon standard hydro tank.

The pressure switch on the side of the motor probably needs to be replaced. That is the thing with the plastic cover and points that snap back, probably a 30/50 switch. That maybe all you need to get the pump to come on when needed.

I don’t know much about the filter or softener. You should duplicate this thread over in the water softener forum.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
i wouldnt think its a shallow jetted well, but maybe. looks like a flotec cast iron pump (the better of the cheap) and a large steel tank that should probably be replaced with a good bladder/diaphragm tank. switch likely needs to be replaced, with new tanks precharge set 2-5 below.. i dont know anything about that treatment system either, but from there you can have a water test done and treat according.

Last edited:

Ben Jones

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I changed out the switch this weekend with a 40/60 Square D switch. Seems to have fixed the cut off issues I was having. I believe it is a shallow well, as stated above. A neighbor did tell me that the pump was from Home Depot and a cheap one. "justwater", you mentioned replacing the steel tank with a bladder/diaphragm tank...do you have any suggestions for brand/type/size? I am dealing with a myriad of repairs throughout this house already, so I looking for something affordable that has good quality.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
As to the water quality problems...

It looks as if there is a sediment filter between the pump and the pressure tank and it might be upside down which might not work very well. IMO if it is between the pump and tank, it should be removed.

It should be removed if it is on the inlet to the backwashed filter also.

If the backwashed filter is between the pump and the pressure tank, it will not be backwashed properly if the pump shuts off during the filter's backwash cycle or between the backwash and rinse cycles or during the rinse cycle because there will be no water flow to it from the pump. And when the pump shuts off then there could be water flow backwards from the pressure tank into the outlet of the filter. Either way the filter will not work as it should.

Also, the drain line from the backwashed filter may be going into the ground just to the left of the filter and depending on where that goes, the drain water could be getting back into the well.

The filter has to be on the outlet side of the pressure tank to work properly and if not now, the mineral will probably need to be replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks