Rainsoft AMB 744 CT 60HZ replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

westindies

Reaction score
I live in Houston, TX. The rainsoft system I inherited when I purchased my house died a few years ago and I am wondering should I replace just the valve with a Fleck 5600 or another valve or should I replace everything. I have a $500 budget. I have attached a few pics of the current system.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,532
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,029

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tank looks to be about a .5 cubic foot at best.. I have seen some of the older ones that there was really no way of getting the media out of the tank.
Most likely you would be ahead if you changed out the system with either a used one that might be in your area or on Craigs list or even E bay as some one selling a used one on the cheep or even a new unit that has the 5600sxt and called the 32k unit.
It most likely will take awhile to find one in your price range but if you wait and search you should be able to get what you are looking for.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The real question to ask is, "Do I need water treatment?" You probably do, since Houston was #6 on a list of the 10 worst cities in terms of water quality a couple of years ago (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/01/31/ten-american-cities-with-worst-drinking-water/), but you can't just go buying a "system" without knowing what problem you're trying to solve. Houston, like all municipal water systems, publishes an annual water quality document that includes lots of contaminants, but doesn't include hardness, so you should test that yourself, then combine that with Houston's current report, and you'll know what you need to treat for. Judging from the 2011 report (Houston does an excellent job of hiding the 2012 report, if it's available), I would want to get rid of the chlorine (4ppm), just for aesthetic reasons.

Also, check to make sure Houston even allows you to do treat water yourself. Softening, in particular, is banned in some municipalities.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Nope. That's why I said "some". But I think we'll be seeing more of them as time goes by.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks