Cleaning hard water stains off of Toto Drake with CEFIONTECT

Users who are viewing this thread

Suceress

Reaction score
I purchased a Toto Drake with CEFIONTECT a few years ago and never got around to installing a water softener. The water from my well is very hard and comes out with a reddish brown tint. It stains everything with this discoloration and above the water line and particularly focused at the water line in the bowl, the CEFIONTECT is stained. The inside of the tank is hideous now, but I don't really care how that looks.

What is the best product for cleaning it and what sort of scrubbers should I use? Magic Eraser magically does absolutely nothing and is worse than a traditional sponge (what a waste of money that thing was). My septic tank is about to be replaced so I don't need to worry about ruining it.

What do you recommend for cleaning it? Do you think CLR will work? I've tried septic safe CLR in the past and it didn't do the job.

I hope the CEFIONTECT is not ruined and would like to use something that won't damage it.

Should I bother cleaning the inside of the tank as well? I don't know when I will be able to get the water softener installed.

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try some white vinegar. It is a mild acid. My wife uses it for alot of cleaning. With a scouring pad should do the trick. I recommend this to customers over clr and the like.

Suceress

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually have tried vinegar in the past. It didn't get the stains out. I'll try again though.
What sorts of things are bad for CEFIONTECT? (I know sandpaper is bad and probably steel wool-- and I have been tempted to try both to get those stains out but know they would probably ruin the toilet). :p

Suceress

Reaction score
Since my septic tank is about to be filled in, I decided to get something that is designed to remove hard water stains. I also used a couple of other cleaners (making sure to completely rinse out the bowl between each type). I used warm water. I shut off the water and sponged out the water in the bottom to be able to see better. I wrapped a toothbrush in a scouring pad to get at some of the crevices. I even used toothpaste in the bowl so it wouldn't smell so bad when I had to lean into it. Probably not recommended measures, but I think I did a decent job. There is no overhead light so I couldn't see some of the remaining stains until the flash from my camera illuminated them. I still may go back and try to scrub the rest of the stains out (and clean the floor). I should have taken a before picture, but it was really absolutely disgusting.

I wish CEFIONTECT repelled the hard water stains. The part under the rim and at the front of the toilet still has some darker stains, but its very hard to clean there-- at least for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seattle2k

Reaction score
Barkeeper's friend is also a mild acid - oxalic acid. I use it on my stainless steel pots and pans. The can also suggests its use on porcelain toilets. As well, it suggests its use to remove rust stains from concrete driveways. I can tell you that it does wonders removing burned-on stuff from my pans. It still takes a bit of elbow grease and the scrubber-size of a sponge, but me and this stuff are now best friends.

Suceress

Reaction score
Barkeeper's friend is also a mild acid - oxalic acid. I use it on my stainless steel pots and pans. The can also suggests its use on porcelain toilets. As well, it suggests its use to remove rust stains from concrete driveways. I can tell you that it does wonders removing burned-on stuff from my pans. It still takes a bit of elbow grease and the scrubber-size of a sponge, but me and this stuff are now best friends.

Thanks. Do you know if that is septic tank safe? My new septic tank is being installed in the morning. I used Lime Away (the local stores were out of CLR). I've never heard of Barkeeper's friend.

I really wish I had taken a before picture. I regret not doing that.

Now if I can find something to restore the Kohler Zofa seat to whitened state. Somehow it has gotten the hard water discoloration, and I can't use anything abrasive without ruining it. It is porous and is like rubber. I'm not sure how else to describe it-- not sure what the material is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
• Use a mild dish detergent to clean your lavatory.
• Use a gel-based toilet bowl cleaner.
• Use a soft cloth to clean your lavatory.
• Use a soft-bristled plastic brush to clean your toilet.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cefiontect_instructions.pdf

toto-bowl-cleaning.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
After trying many various strong chemicals and gentle mechanical methods, I recently used Pummie pumice stick on CEFIONTECT. Worked really well. I hope the CEFIONTECT is not as delicate as we fear. I am not recommending that to others, but I am not sorry yet.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks