Washing machine discharge rates and standpipe specs for Condo Board, Inglis IFR42001

Users who are viewing this thread

Jack G

Reaction score
My daughter bought her first home (a condo) that has strict guidelines for washing machines. They specify a discharge rate of 6 GPM for less. She bought a Inglis IFR42001 machine that states in the manual ...

"The standpipe drain requires a minimum diameter standpipe of 2" (5 cm). The minimum carry-away capacity can be no less than 4.2 gal. (15.9 L) per minute. A 2" (5 cm) diameter to 1" (2.5 cm) diameter standpipe adapter kit is available. See "Tools and Parts."

They refused the unit after she bought and installed it, and are threatening a severe fine and the unit must be removed. They indicated the standpipe size in this older condo in 1.5", and the unit does not conform.

We cannot get the exact discharge rate from Inglis (or anybody else). Does it make sense that a 4.2 would be OK for a 2" and not meet the 6.2 for a 1.5" system?

Help please, anybody!!! multiple emails to the condo board are getting nowhere.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Does it make sense that a 4.2 would be OK for a 2" and not meet the 6.2 for a 1.5" system?

To me that reads 4.2 gallons.
All washers require 2" drains. Your board limits you to 6.0 and your manual says your unit puts out 4.2
What numbers are they going by?

And if you really want to find out what it pumps, pull it away from the wall and let it drain into a gargage can, time it, and then measure how many gallons were pumped.

The laundry tub requires a minimum carry-away capacity of
4.2 gal. (15.9 L) per minute.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/user-manuals/IFR42001-Inglis-Parts-Washer-Parts-manual

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Condo committees and home owner associations are NOT known for their 'intellects". They prefer to operate under the guidelines the Gestapo used. If the washer specifies a drain that can accommodate 4.2 gpm, then that is the discharge rate of the washer, and ANY pipe that can handle that amount is adequate, whether it is 1 1/2" or 2".

Jack G

Reaction score
Thanks hj, that seems to align with my somewhat logic thinking as well. We can see if your professional comments can add any weight to the situation. A commercial plumber did the install, and maybe we can get them to put something in writing that they would accept. If it wasn't for the manufacturers wording that said "2" as all units say now, then the indicated 4.2 gpm would be clear. Make me think their new "approved" list must be a related party. And on that note, I can't find discharge rates published anywhere for these as well, must be industry secrets or something.

Jack G

Reaction score
Not sure if my reply went thru. I will measure it next week, and see if that will suffice. I find it hard to believe the manufactures will not list these specifications clearly, their 1-800 numbers can't tell us, nor can dealers. Must be some trade or liability issues floating around this matter.

Thanks for your input, will advise
JG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They are all designed to work with code compliant drainage systems. If you don't have one of those, then many of them will be problematic. What you will find is that many of today's front loader WM do discharge faster than the older top loaders, but neither should be an issue if the plumbing is to code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks