Washroom in floating boathouse

Users who are viewing this thread

poky1234

Reaction score
Hello,

I have constructed a floating boathouse in Ontario Canada. It is to have a small ,2 piece washroom in the cabin on top. (see pic). The lower part of the boathouse is completely open, much like a car port. There is to be a lav and wall mount toilet. The wall mount toilet was used so that there would be no plumbing visible from the lower deck. The waste stack travels down inside the center rear 6 x 6 steel tube column so 3 inch drain is not seen. The 3 inch waste stack continues down under the lower deck to the sewage ejection tank. From there the waste is pumped up to the septic tank on land. The problem is that the inspector insists that we need a 2 inch vent from the sewage tank travelling all the way back up inside the building and tied into the 3 inch stack exiting the roof. We cannot fit the 2 inch pipe inside the steel column now. We would have to leave the 2 inch vent exposed on the lower deck and run it up through the second floor. By code, could I run a separate 2 inch plastic abs vent inside a steel pipe, up the rear side of the building and carry on above the roof but not passing through the roof? I dont want to go through the roof and cedar shakes already installed. I would use this also as a flag pole , concealing the vent . any input is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Boathouse Plumbing 2 001.jpg
    Boathouse Plumbing 2 001.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 917
  • Boathouse Plumbing 002.jpg
    Boathouse Plumbing 002.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • BOATHOUSE 318.jpg
    BOATHOUSE 318.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,971

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
if i read this correctly you want to run the separate 2" vent for sewage tank, through the wall and extend above roof line?
if so it still need to increase in size to min. 3" pipe through the wall and remain 3" outside the building to its termination. basically any vent you run on the outside needs to be 3" min.

poky1234

Reaction score
if i read this correctly you want to run the separate 2" vent for sewage tank, through the wall and extend above roof line?
if so it still need to increase in size to min. 3" pipe through the wall and remain 3" outside the building to its termination. basically any vent you run on the outside needs to be 3" min.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I want to run the 2 inch sewage tank vent line up on the outside of the building and extend it above the roof line but not through the roof overhang. It wouldn't be going through a wall as the sewage tank is already outside under the lower deck of the boathouse. The vent would be set off the building far enough to clear the overhang of the roof and would carry on up above the roof. Would this still be required to be 3 inch? I'll send an improved drawing if you like.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
How do the property laws work there? Here a river is a public waterway, and one would never be able to build anything like that on it. We can't even build a boat dock that exceeds a specific length and width.

poky1234

Reaction score
How do the property laws work there? Here a river is a public waterway, and one would never be able to build anything like that on it. We can't even build a boat dock that exceeds a specific length and width.

This boathouse is on Lake Muskoka in central Ontario. This lake allows boathouses. There are some over 100 years old. Maximum living area above is limited to 650 sq ft. They allow a washroom but not a kitchen. Most were built on wooden cribs. There are lakes and rivers here though that dont allow boathouses. There must be some rivers and lakes over your way that alllow docks and boathouses because all of the float tanks came from Iowa.

poky1234

Reaction score

I have another drawing for the lav and toilet in the boathouse. I understand that as soon as a vent leaves a building and goes into open air it must be 3 inch.Therefore as soon as the sewage tank vent exits from under the lower deck it has to switch to 3 inch as the whole lower level is an open air boat port. Can I run the 3 inch vent straight up outside building, terminating above roof and tie 3 inch vent from toilet and lav into this as shown in drawing? I would use a galvanized tube to run vent inside and attach to the outside of the building. Thanks for your advice.boathouse plumbing 3 001.jpg

Squarehead

Reaction score
This boathouse is on Lake Muskoka in central Ontario. This lake allows boathouses. There are some over 100 years old. Maximum living area above is limited to 650 sq ft. They allow a washroom but not a kitchen. Most were built on wooden cribs. There are lakes and rivers here though that dont allow boathouses. There must be some rivers and lakes over your way that alllow docks and boathouses because all of the float tanks came from Iowa.
I would like to build a floating boathouse in this area. Did you have any problems obtaining a building permit? I have been told I need engineered drawings, but am having major problems finding an engineer who will sign this off. Did you encounter any problems like this, especially as you were installing a bathroom?

Part H

Reaction score
Venting issue

I have another drawing for the lav and toilet in the boathouse. I understand that as soon as a vent leaves a building and goes into open air it must be 3 inch.Therefore as soon as the sewage tank vent exits from under the lower deck it has to switch to 3 inch as the whole lower level is an open air boat port. Can I run the 3 inch vent straight up outside building, terminating above roof and tie 3 inch vent from toilet and lav into this as shown in drawing? I would use a galvanized tube to run vent inside and attach to the outside of the building. Thanks for your advice.View attachment 19946

I've just come across this site and don't know if your issue has been resolved, but after reading the post, wouldn't it be simplest to just use 2- air admittance valves (AAV)? I've worked on numerous projects around the world and an AAV would allow you to vent inside the wall just above the toilet water line without having to vent above or thru the roof. The other would be used on the septic tank and will give off a clean appearance to your project.

The best models to use are manufactured by Studor. Website: www.studor.net

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've just come across this site and don't know if your issue has been resolved, but after reading the post, wouldn't it be simplest to just use 2- air admittance valves (AAV)? I've worked on numerous projects around the world and an AAV would allow you to vent inside the wall just above the toilet water line without having to vent above or thru the roof. The other would be used on the septic tank and will give off a clean appearance to your project.

The best models to use are manufactured by Studor. Website: www.studor.net

our building code would not allow the use of AAV's in this case

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks