A little help? Checkvalve?

Users who are viewing this thread

taurusbia

Reaction score
I don't even know if this falls under plumbing, but I figured I should start somewhere. A few years ago, I had some clearing done in my field. The contractor sheared a water line I had going to two out door faucets. To make up for it, he trenched a new line and installed 1" PVC pipe, and T'd it off the line that goes up a hill to my house, from my well house. (This is where the line came off before). Well ever since then, when I go to turn on the water in my field, I get nothing. To make the water come out, I have to turn a hose or some kind of water on up at the house, until the pump kicks on, and then I can turn the water on down in my field. After doing this for a few years, I'm getting really sick of running water up at my house just to use the hose in the field. Someone suggested a check valve. Any other suggestions? Besides running the new pvc pipe, nothing else was changed to the system.
I appreciate any and all suggestions.
Thanks

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Relocate the Check Valve

This may be happening because there is a check valve in the water line between the tee and the house. When you turn on a faucet in the house and the pressure drops, the pressure switch turns on the pump. Between the well and the check valve is where he tied in to your water line. When you run the field faucet, the water line may have a little pressure and then it stops. If there is a leaky foot valve or something and then you may have no pressure. The only way to start the pump is to run the house water till the pressure switch turns the pump on again. You could relocate the check valve so it is at the well or it could be in the line anywhere before it tees off. The pressure switch would sense the pressure drop anywhere in the line back to the check valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He must have done something besides connect where it was before, otherwise it would have operated the same way before he damaged the line. As stated, your hose faucets do not activate the pump's pressure switch, so you have to do it by opening a house faucet. In fact, once the house pressure is satisfied your outside faucets will stop running again.

taurusbia

Reaction score
So if I install a new check valve prior to the tee, it won't mess up anything else? I've bought the check valve, I just didn't know where in the line to put it. I can't wait to have water!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Having more than one checkvalve can create problems on a pumped system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks