How and why to prepare a grout sample board

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in never grouting a tile project without first testing the grout and showing the client. This is such an important step it should in fact be done well before the installation of the backer board and if you're really picky before even the plumber shows up. There are many reasons for this and I'll cover some of the thought process we use to design and build our custom showers.

All tile is different. Different textures, different edge details, different thickness and on and on. Grout can act differently with these various tile choices. Until you see a grout sample board you are hoping the colour on the bag or the colour on the grout wheel is in fact the colour it should be, or will be once grouted. So many times it's not.

Your installer might like using more water at clean up time - this can lighten a grout colour.
Your tile might have an eased edge - this can make the grout joint look twice the size once grouted.
You might like a rough looking grout joint - your installer might take great care making it smooth.
Your grout might scratch the tile

Here is a look at three grout sample boards we recently prepared for our clients to sign off on. As it turns out I didn't like any of them, but more importantly neither did my clients! Back to the drawing board, or should I say back to the grout board....

You can see here these sample boards do not need to be very fancy. Two prepared on a scrap of backer board and one on plywood. The trick is to keep the factory edges in the center and to use the desired grout spacing.

This "Raven" grout from Laticrete is one of my favourites. I told my client it would be perfect - I was wrong. It's to dark. I picked up the lighter grey colour and will make a new test board. If this colour is to light I might blend the two powders and make a custom colour.

A little to dark I think. The lady of the house wants more of a colour match. Light grey is my favourite colour and if this my shower I would use this grout. But it's not and she does not like it. I'm going to try Laticrete's white grout since it is a little off white it might be a better match.

To yellow. I hate it.

I have not kept track of the rejection rate of my grout boards with clients but would have to say it is easily 1-5 people hate the mock up or grout test board. That is a pretty high number to leave it to chance. If your looking for perfection make sure you always prepare a grout sample board.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:

mmcfaddin

Reaction score
John - I'll be using Laticrete Spectralock Pro Epoxy in my bathroom (I've DIY'd Spectralock before.) The logistics and cost of preparing sample boards are bit daunting. What do you think of using their sanded grout for my samples? Are their colors consistent enough across the lines? I know the texture and reflectance will be different... but my only consideration in preparing the sample boards is color. BTW - it will be a gray and I may be doing some color mixing myself!

mmcfaddin

Reaction score
Just thought to add... once I have a custom color mix I'm happy with I would likely do a sample with that blend using the Spectralock before committing to the whole bathroom!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
John - I'll be using Laticrete Spectralock Pro Epoxy in my bathroom (I've DIY'd Spectralock before.) The logistics and cost of preparing sample boards are bit daunting. What do you think of using their sanded grout for my samples? Are their colors consistent enough across the lines? I know the texture and reflectance will be different... but my only consideration in preparing the sample boards is color. BTW - it will be a gray and I may be doing some color mixing myself!

Using a digital scale is key to testing the epoxy grout.

The powder and liquid measurements from Laticrete are bang on. You can easily measure out 1/5th a package of the small unit and save most of your grout.

With the digital scale set up you can zero the weight of the container and then add in the epoxy (in two steps) then mix and then add the powder. Measure everything.

We knead the bags of the liquids before portioning them out. JW

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks