(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help installing toilet flange

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    We can only believe what you have told us, which is that the sink is not vented.

I would not believe Terry's simple test of running some water into the lavatory because of the potentially low flow of the sink's faucet. You would need to drain a full sink or dump a bucket of water into it, and then check to see if the the trap has siphoned.

If there is not a vent, it might be one of those times that an AAV will have to make do.
    Thanks I will try this test. Do I basically open the trap and see if its not full of water after draining the full sink?

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Yes. If the sink drain is without a stopper, you should me able to shine a light down the trap and see if it is full.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

When the waste exits the P-trap of the sink, and before it starts to go down, there must be a pipe coming off that arm within 42" for the size pipe you are using that goes up to act as the vent. Since it looks like the sink's drain just goes straight down in the wall, there MUST be a vent line going straight up from where it transitions from horizontal to vertical off the trap arm behind the P-trap, or it is an S-trap. Depending on the flow, you may or may not be able to siphon the trap in the sink, so the test is not definitive.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    When the waste exits the P-trap of the sink, and before it starts to go down, there must be a pipe coming off that arm within 42" for the size pipe you are using that goes up to act as the vent. Since it looks like the sink's drain just goes straight down in the wall, there MUST be a vent line going straight up from where it transitions from horizontal to vertical off the trap arm behind the P-trap, or it is an S-trap. Depending on the flow, you may or may not be able to siphon the trap in the sink, so the test is not definitive.
    The original plumbing was an s trap going through the floor connecting to the copper you see in the picture which is connected to the PVC. Doesn't this definitively mean the sink is not vented? In this situation would an acceptable fix be to run a p trap under the sink and attach an AAV and then drop the pipe through the floor? There are three load bearing joists under the wall behind the sink so there is no way I will be able to put a pipe in the wall and go down (or left or right or up for that matter due to other obstructions). Thank you.

Some places allow an AAV, some don't. Having one is better than an S-trap. They can and do fail eventually, so they must be placed where they can be accessed. You want is as high in the cabinet as you can reasonably get it and still unscrew it to replace it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Some places allow an AAV, some don't. Having one is better than an S-trap. They can and do fail eventually, so they must be placed where they can be accessed. You want is as high in the cabinet as you can reasonably get it and still unscrew it to replace it.
    If I go with an AAV in the cabinet, does it make any difference whether I put a wye at the main stack or after the toilet elbow? Thanks.

You don't really want to keep it into the toilet fitting, but I don't think it really matters which other choice you make once you've got the sink vented.
    Jim DeBruycker

You don't really want to keep it into the toilet fitting, but I don't think it really matters which other choice you make once you've got the sink vented.
    I was looking at the stack pipe and have another idea. What if I leave the CI sanitee the way it is and use it only for the toilet and install a tee in the kitchen sink copper pipe you see in the picture below and connect the bathroom sink to the tee?

Name:  IMG_20130402_011145[1].jpg
Views: 58
Size:  43.6 KB

I'm still wondering why you don't just vent the sink and cut the sink drain wye into the toilet waste arm, downstream of the closet bend?

I'm still wondering why you don't just vent the sink and cut the sink drain wye into the toilet waste arm, downstream of the closet bend?
    Because Jim said "You don't really want to keep it into the toilet fitting, but I don't think it really matters which other choice you make once you've got the sink vented." after I asked "If I go with an AAV in the cabinet, does it make any difference whether I put a wye at the main stack or after the toilet elbow? Thanks.".

The "You don't really want to keep it into the toilet fitting" part made it sound to me like putting the wye after the elbow or "toilet waste arm" was not the best way to do it.

The issue is the existing closet bend with the heel inlet. Getting rid of that and cutting in the wye is fine- as long as the sink is properly vented. If it is not vented, the sink's trap can get siphoned every time you flush the toilet.

The issue is the existing closet bend with the heel inlet. Getting rid of that and cutting in the wye is fine- as long as the sink is properly vented. If it is not vented, the sink's trap can get siphoned every time you flush the toilet.
    Ok, thanks!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because Jim said "You don't really want to keep it into the toilet fitting
    So the advice of a working plumber is not good, but Jim the Retired Defense Industry Engineer's is.
    I can't tell you how many thousands of jobs I've had permitted and passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    So the advice of a working plumber is not good, but Jim the Retired Defense Industry Engineer's is.
    I can't tell you how many thousands of jobs I've had permitted and passed.
    Hi Terry,

Jim responded the fastest and has more posts than you. Clearly he must be at a higher level.

I forgot to ask. I've read that there are cheap AAVs to avoid. What would be some brands/models that have a good track record?