Help installing toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some places allow an AAV, some don't. Having one is better than an S-trap. They can and do fail eventually, so they must be placed where they can be accessed. You want is as high in the cabinet as you can reasonably get it and still unscrew it to replace it.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You don't really want to keep it into the toilet fitting, but I don't think it really matters which other choice you make once you've got the sink vented.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm still wondering why you don't just vent the sink and cut the sink drain wye into the toilet waste arm, downstream of the closet bend?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The issue is the existing closet bend with the heel inlet. Getting rid of that and cutting in the wye is fine- as long as the sink is properly vented. If it is not vented, the sink's trap can get siphoned every time you flush the toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Because Jim said "You don't really want to keep it into the toilet fitting

So the advice of a working plumber is not good, but Jim the Retired Defense Industry Engineer's is.
I can't tell you how many thousands of jobs I've had permitted and passed. :)

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
WHOA, Guys!! I read Jim's comment about the "toilet fitting" just to mean that you didn't want to keep running it into the heel inlet, not that he was saying that Terry's suggestion of a wye was wrong!! I don't think I have ever seen Jim purport to contradict Terry. In fact, he often passes on offering advice where it gets into codes and the technicalities of plumbing; indeed, he did that earlier in this very thread.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
So the advice of a working plumber is not good, but Jim the Retired Defense Industry Engineer's is.
I can't tell you how many thousands of jobs I've had permitted and passed. :)
All I said was you don't really want it going into the existing heel input...is that wrong?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
In looking at the picture...a donut will NOT work on this...it is NOT a hub! You need a reinforced connector to go from the CI to PVC. Essentially, you'd make connections as if it were the existing hubless CI, but need the connector to convert from the CI to PVC, which have different ODs. I think what you need is listed here http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/proflex-couplings model 3000-33.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Drainage pipe is spec'ed as INTERNAL diameter...if the OD is 3.75, the ID is likely 3".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks