Can I install an expansion tank on abandoned water softener loop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Austin83

Reaction score
After some consideration, I have decided to move my expansion tank from the attic to our insulated garage. There is an old water softener loop in the garage about 12 feet from the hot water heater (water softener was removed years ago by previous owner and loop was left). I have heard that an expansion tank can be added anywhere on the cold side, but I don't know anything about softener loops. There is a cutoff valve on the loop and when shut off it cuts the water throughout the house. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good place to install it? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To pass code, the expansion tank should not have any valve between it and the WH. This is to ensure that it always has an open path to the WH to absorb the expansion. From a practical matter, as long as the valve(s) remain open, it will work just fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks