Floor Joist Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

jcrown21b

Reaction score
The original owner of the home turned a crawl space into a dug out basement. However the stairs have a very high rise and as I want to fix this I'm faced with one of two solutions. The easiest one would be to cut the floor joist but it is directly under a wall and the section to be removed would be about 3 feet wide. The joist is a 2x10 and I would only need to remove about 5-6 inches to get the clearance I need. I know that sistering would be the best wya to deal with this but this joist is on the end and there is a joist to the est but not one to the west. Is there a way to safely support this and still get the extra 5-6 inches of clearance that I need. The other option would require using a cement saw and removing a portion of the cement floor of the basement as a way to chagne up the lay out of the stairs. I have never used a cement saw and would like to do this project by myself. Which way would be better or should I just sticke with cutting out the cement.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture or drawing may help some. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find a structural engineer that could give you an opinion. It wouldn't be all that expensive unless you wanted drawings, certifications, etc. I did this when I discovered a problem when remodeling, and it only cost me about $100. He came over, looked things over, took some measurements, and went home. Called later after he'd made some calculations, and told me what I could do. As I said, though, if you need drawings, and certified, stamped, approved plans, it would boost the cost considerably. A wall sitting on a joist, rather than crossing them, is probably not a load-bearing wall. That doesn't mean you can just arbitrarily cut things...you'd first want to support the joists, then cut, then reinforce. Whether that would require simiply sistering things, or a header, or what, is hard to tell without more details. If that mod ever needed to be inspected, there are some fairly strict rules about the pitch and run of a set of stairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks