(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My curbless steam shower project

Kholsme, that looks very nice! I like the long white tiles. What material is the top of the seat? I think it looks neat. Is there any way to access the space under the bench from the other side of the wall? I would think that would be a cool place to store things. I think I've watched too much "Wasted Spaces".

Johnfrwhipple, thank you for the advice. Also thank you for showing the pictures. I never even heard of the liquid membranes before. I confess a lot of what I "know" about this sort of thing came from watching "Holmes on Homes" and "Holmes Inspection". I always see him using membranes that look like plastic. They don't always go into great detail on the products used though. I love that you constantly test things and adapt to find better techniques and materials. It's a sign of someone who truly cares about the quality of the end product and getting things done right.

A steam shower is not anything I would ever have in a home. I have no tolerance for steam because it makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I live in a very humid climate so I get enough moisture. LOL.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suceress View Post
    .... I confess a lot of what I "know" about this sort of thing came from watching "Holmes on Homes" and "Holmes Inspection". I always see him using membranes that look like plastic.....
    I have never once see Mike Holmes build a shower and flood test it. TV reno's are designed to sell people on products in my opinion - not teach people the best way. Building a shower to exceed TCNA or TTMAC guidelines is hard. That does not sell magazines. That does not sell product in the store.

People want to hear the words;

Easy,

Quick,

Fast,

Cheap

And they do not want to hear they need hundreds of dollars in tools. Not when "This saw is on special for $45.00"

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

DIY Junior Member

Thanks Suceress, the bench top is a remnant piece of 1-1/4" quartz. We were going to go with corian, as it would be a bit warmer to the tush. I don't really like the plastic feel of corian and we couldn't find a remnant piece of 1-1/4 corian we liked. When I use the bench I just sit on a towel.

I was thinking of using the under-bench space as a place to store towels, but I gave up on that and ended up tiling it. There is still a possibility of using this space from outside the bathroom.

DIY Junior Member

Default Continued

Name:  IMGP3430.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  29.2 KBName:  IMGP3431.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  16.8 KBName:  IMGP3432.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  25.0 KBName:  IMGP3433.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  33.6 KBName:  IMGP3438.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  33.3 KB

So this is it. I have learned a lot from this build, but given another chance I would do it differently (properly). In the case of steam rooms I would use a sheet membrane type water proofing. Although I have yet to run into moisture problems, the use of a proper sheet membrane would eliminate any doubt of "vapor proof-ness" (I don't think that's a word).

The placement of the "light and sound" unit catches water running down the slope and drips toward the end of a 20min steam. This is just a minor gripe a few drops and just towards the end. When looking into designing my steam room, sites recommended sloping ceilings to avoid water drops. Typically I have a 20min steam and not one drop of water falls from the flat section of the ceiling. I would imagine if a doubled the length of my steams I might notice a few drops, but overall I think residential designs can skip sloping ceilings altogether.

My steam room is a bit dim. The "light and sound" unit does not put out as much light as I thought it would, but again, a minor issue. With the price of steam room rated lighting, I would have still opted for my current setup.

So that is it. I would like to give another thank you to this forum (and esp. Mr. Whipple on the linear drain conundrum) for providing some great perspectives on things that I would have been clueless about. I can only hope that this post might help a little in giving back.

Blog Entries

I hope you are enjoying the steam shower sessions. I wish I had mine finished! Looks great.

Thanks for the kind words and thank you for sharing!!! JW

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

I had a shower recently where the Aquadefense bubbled like in some of the photos I saw on this thread. From what I'm reading, am I correct in believing this is caused by putting the AD on to thick? My shower didn't leak during the water test, but it sure didn't look right. It looked like it had blisters all over it. I would appreciate any insite you can offer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShowerKing View Post
    I had a shower recently where the Aquadefense bubbled like in some of the photos I saw on this thread. From what I'm reading, am I correct in believing this is caused by putting the AD on to thick? My shower didn't leak during the water test, but it sure didn't look right. It looked like it had blisters all over it. I would appreciate any insite you can offer
    We stopped using Aqua Defence because of the bubbling issues. Switched out to a cementious membrane called Ardex 8+9. I'm pretty sure the bubbling is a result of the product drying to fast or the job site being to warm. I would not use the product unless your temperature was between 15-22 degrees celsius or 59-72 F.

The video you posted shower king does not show the 7-28 day wait before using the liquid membrane over the new grading extensions. The video also shows cutting the membrane around the drain wrong.

Watch out for the liquids! JW