Notching studs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Riceman98

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here with a couple questions. I am converting my single sink vanity to a double sink. I know how I need to running the plumbing. In the picture you can see there is a wall that runs perpendicular to the wall I need to run the plumbing in. The stud on the end sticks into the wall about 1 1/2". Should I notch the stud at the end of the wall? I'm kind of at a loss as what to do. :confused: Thanks!

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
It's only a nailer for the drywall, run a cup saw through it leaving as much as possible. How did you intend on turning this into a double vanity, you can put only 1 trap on a trap arm. You need to either cut in a san tee underneath, run over to within 42 inches of the other sink then revent or cut the line move it over to within 42" and then put a figure (5)fitting.

Last edited:

Riceman98

Reaction score
I plan on cutting in a San tee under the current drain and reventing. The 42" thing has thrown me off. Can the new drain only be 42" from the stack? Or the drains can be no more than 42" apart? The new drain will be about 56" from the stack. The drains will only be about 30" apart.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can cut in a second sanitary tee, but the new trap arm will need to be re-vented because it's trap will be too far from the stack.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Back to basics...each drain needs a vent and each drain needs a trap. You can combine vent lines, but there are rules. You need to install the vent before the drain line (trap arm) out of the trap turns down, otherwise, you'll create an S-trap. The trap arm can only be so long (depends on the pipe diameter) before it must be vented. The 42" is a vertical height ABOVE the floor OR 6" above the flood plane of the thing you are venting, whichever is HIGHER). That number comes from a typical kitchen counter, which is 36" above the floor, then add 6" for good measure. The idea is to keep the vent free of waste - since the waste is governed by gravity, 6" gives a little leeway in case you have a pump on the inlet (say a garbage disposer, dishwasher, washing machine, etc.). You can add as many things to a drain line as you want, as long as the size is adequate and each thing is vented properly. There are practical limits based on the size of the fittings, but there can be many things run into it.

Riceman98

Reaction score
Jadnashua,
I have my dad helping, who is a licensed plumber, I have the plumbing down so it is up to code. But Winslow said the drains can't be more than 42" apart. I was just trying to clarify. The second drain will be about 56" away from the stack. My dad has not heard of any code about how far the drains are apart. I have read through most of the code and can't fine anything. As long as the slope on the drain is correct it doesn't matter how long the waste pipe is. Am I wrong?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Winslow is saying that the maximum horizontal distance of a trap arm on 1.5" pipe is 3.5 feet, which is 42". Each trap arm can have only one trap, so each has to be within 42" of the vent.

Put differently, the trap-to-vent distance on 1.5" pipe is minimum 3" (calculated as 2 pipe diameters), maximum 42".

If it makes a difference, the distance on this kind of trap arm is measured from the weir of the trap to the inner edge of the vent.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You are misunderstanding Winslow, as he was referring to the distance allowed between the trap and it's vent.
The problem is that depending on where we are, we don't all fall under the same plumbing code.

Idaho is a UPC state.

UPCvents.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
(Okay, realize Cacher Chick wasn't talking to me.)

Put another way, he wasn't talking about how far the drain can be from the stack, he was talking about how far the trap can be from the vent ("trap arm"). The stack can be wherever it is, but you need a vent within 42" of the trap.

Last edited:

Riceman98

Reaction score
Ok guys that makes more sense. I don't think think this applies to what I'm doing. I plan on doing something like this:
image.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yep. I, at least, think you got it. Looks almost exactly like Bert Polk's example of how to do "two lavatory sinks side by side with single drain".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do all of the horizontal runs have the appropriate minimum of 1/4" per foot slope? Hard to tell from the picture. To my unprofessional opinion, it should work

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thumbs up!

While you are in there, put another electrical receptacle on the other side of the new cabinet, so that they are spaced evenly over opposite sides of the sinks. You also need to make sure the receptacles have GFCI protection. :p

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The proper way would be to cap the drains and install a test tee in the stack so that the line can be blocked with a test ball, and then the stack filled with water from the top. The standard test is 10 feet of head pressure on the line.

With a small job like yours, most would not go through the trouble unless they had to for an inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks