Galvanized RePipe- Tight Squeeze on Risers.

Users who are viewing this thread

JerseyShore

Reaction score
Progressing on re pipe of 1943 two fam... this is why I need PEX as opposed to copper for the risers. It is starting to get a little scarey. Check out stack in first pick. Very tight squeeze in there..... what to do about heating ducts???

SDC10286.jpg

SDC10287.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
From what I can see, sweating copper risers should not be an impossible job. Certainly care would have to be taken to protect against fire by having a spray bottle of water within reach and flame guards to keep flame away from the joists. Guess you might have figured out that I'm not fan of PEX.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Although not a pro, I'm not a fan of PEX either.

One thing to consider -- even though fewer joints is less to go wrong, you can always prefabricate sections before installation to get the in-place joints where you want them. For example, if you can get the riser out by undoing the union (background pipe in second picture) then you can get a copper section in just like it...

Also, they make those fabric heat shields. If you can't afford that, even a couple layers of aluminum foil behind the joint can help some, with the added benefit that it will warn you by a noisy crinkling sound and melting just before the wood catches on fire. Have a good bucket of water and extinguisher handy.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have had good result soldering in tight quarters using a opened and flattened #10 can. Usually I cut a notch on one edge so I can slip it around a pipe and bend it a bit to get better coverage when needed. Not as fancy as the story bought fabric heat shield, but works fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks